??? about 5g cube planted darter tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
??? about 5g cube planted darter tank

i want to do a heavy planted 5g cube for a brown darter(Etheostoma edwini?)(possibly a pair if they will fit) a trio of long finned danios and a trio of ghost shrimp. i have the glass for the tank just haven't put them together yet tank dimmensions will be 11"x11 3/8"x11". i want to use my aquaclear10 [email protected] for current and three 10watt flouresent light bulbs for lighting, thinking for substrate using a thin layer of peat moss, a layer of small gravel and about 2 inches of fine grained silica sand that i brought home from the beach. i'm thinking for plants
dwarf hairgrass
dwarf anubias
wristeria
anachris
a short wide red plant that the lfs owner calls cryptocoryne and has had forever, i now think it is micro crypt
micro sword
anubias barteri
java fern
baby tears
could i do all of this in my tank or do i need to change something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
The only problem I forsee is that the darter might suffer if the tank gets too warm. They need a lot of O2 and warm water doesn't carry much. Oh the Anubius barteri will get too big for the 5, and the anachris is generally a cool water plant.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

if i use a fan i can probably keep the water under 82 degrees and i don't plan on a co2 injector. will it still work? and if/when the anubias gets too big, i'll tranfer it into a planted brackish tank

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you don't inject CO2, use the SeaChem Excel. I use it in my 2 gallon nanocube and the plants are going gangbusters.

The fan is going to cause alot of evaporation, keep up with the water changes so you don't end up with liquid rock for water in the tank

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

where can i get seachem excel and about how much will it cost me? will my plants be ok without any additives?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Danyal - I don't have darters. But I've read up on them because I thought about keeping them, and am under the impression that 82 degrees is way to warm for them. Have you researched this variety? And do you know they can tolerate that?

A few good reference sites are the North American Native Fish Association, and the Native Fish Conservancy.

And also an unbeliveably good reference on darters, if you don't have it, is American Aquarium Fishes by Goldstein, Harper and Edwards.

But if you do do this, I hope you are going to take pictures!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

if i can ever learn how to take some decent pics and learn how to post them then i will be glad to post tons. i 'm hoping that the tank will stay cool enough but it gets hot here and i had some spikes this summer in my ten gallon that got up to 86 degrees, do you know of any good/cheap ways to cool a tank?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
ice packs. You can buy plastic ice cubes that fill with water. There meant for drinks, but they work great. Do some experiments, like (X) amount of cubes will cool the tank to (X) deggres, for (X) amount of hours...ect

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

i don't want any quick and sudden changes in the tank, it will stress the fish too much. i'm doing all of this for a darter the plants just look nice and the danios are just to add a little more movement to the tank, i might not even add them if it think it might crowd the darter(s) if i add ice cubes i don't want to take a chance on changing things too fast and killing the fish

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode