Advice on a tank from scratch. (substrate & filtration stage) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Advice on a tank from scratch. (substrate & filtration stage)

This is my first attempt at planning out a tank. My 55 gallon was more a gradual evolution from knowing nothing.

So far, I only have the tank...

So the next logical step would be the substrate.

I'm thinking about going with ADA Aqua Soil Africana simply because it's the only brown stuff I know of that should be easy to plant in. I also want the look of soil and since this tank is roughly 10 gallons this is an affordable opportunity to try the stuff. The Power Sand is an added cost I'd like to avoid.

Does Power Sand have any advantage over a thin layer of peat and mulm?

After I get the substrate in place I'll be looking for a very small canister filter. So far, I'm leaning towards the smallest Eheim Ecco. What do you think? I really don't want to spend a lot but I hate HOTB filters.

Any advice or comments?

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Last edited by random_alias; 09-23-2005 at 07:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
I like that tank, were did you find it if I may ask? my little 10 is fugly, blue seems with black frame, bah...

Not sure about the amazonia, but I have Flora Base sub with peat and can grow anything, especially the softwater plants

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
I like that tank, were did you find it if I may ask?
They are made in Hong Kong and this one was sent to me by a resident of California who found one at a LFS. I do not know the name of the LFS. The guy said that they have apparently decided to stop carrying them. It is glass.

Quote:
...I have Flora Base sub with peat and can grow anything
Is the Flora Base light weighted? Does it float when disturbed? Does it hold plants well and is it easy to plant?

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Yes it is lightweight, floats about like eco complete in other words it is just like EC (except in color/Tan-ish) in that it is light & easy to plant, but grows better.. but was $30 a bag
That is why I only built a 10 for now.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would by all means try Aquasoil, won't break your bank for a tank that small plus a chance to experiment with the probably the best.
For a filter, may I suggest to go with an Italian instead of German - http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...711&pcid1=2885
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes it is lightweight, floats about like eco complete...
I'm looking for something heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino
For a filter, may I suggest to go with an Italian instead of German - http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...711&pcid1=2885
I had never even considered a hydor. Are they silent? Whatever I get has to be dead silent. Tank's in the bedroom.

I'm thinking about getting a 55w kit from AH Supply and building my own enclosure. Also thinking about buying the mounting legs to something like a Coralife Aqualight and attaching them to the enclosure.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino
I would by all means try Aquasoil, won't break your bank for a tank that small plus a chance to experiment with the probably the best.

I'll take a BMW over a FIAT any day.

Re-boot!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via MSN to capricorn77 Send a message via Yahoo to capricorn77
How about one of these as an external canister filter for your 10 gallon tank?

member of
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 07:22 PM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Quote:
I'm thinking about going with ADA Aqua Soil Africana simply because it's the only brown stuff I know of that should be easy to plant in.
If the only reason that your getting ADA Soil is because you like the brown color then you could go with Schultz Aquatic Soil. It's about $6 a bag and is brown also... just an idea.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 07:42 PM

If he is looking for something heavy though SAS is about the lightest thing I have every worked with.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias
I had never even considered a hydor. Are they silent? Whatever I get has to be dead silent.
Yes, they are silent. The price is terrific too.
Here's some info from Hydor's site http://www.hydor.it/inglese/faq3.htm.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
I'll take a BMW over a FIAT any day.
I was thinking more along the lines of Ferrari vs Golf .
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

dbl post....

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I received the ADA Aquasoil Amazonia the other day.

I have ordered a mini canister filter discussed here. Thanks capricorn77.

I'll be dosing EI and Excel for carbon.

So now I have everything but the lighting. Since the filter is external and tank is rimless, I definitely have to go Amano style with this and use a pendant light. If I have to custom make one that's ok.

I want this 10 gal to be a miniature version of what my planned ADA 75 will look like.

Given the ferts and excel dosing, I'm assuming I'll need high light. The tank is 23.5 x 8.5 x 12.0. How many watts do I need and what's the best light to get this into the tank?

I'm thinking either an AHSupply 36w or 55w kit and then building a custom pendant enclosure. Which light would work better?

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 05:23 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Glad I read this--I never knew there were such teeny canister filters out there! Thanks,
Fig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode