Specific dosing instructions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Specific dosing instructions?

I don't know if I need specific dosing instructions, or I should just follow some general rules. Currently, I have only a few plants, but I will be getting more after Monday (not sure what kind, but it will be a mix).

The plants I have are in my sig. There are a few not mentioned that were recently acquired; Java fern plantlets, dwarf chain sword, and some dwarf sag.

I got the following from Greg:
Nitrogen: KNO3
Phosphorus: KH2PO4
Potassium: K2SO4

I'm using Flourish Excel for CO2 (for now), and Big Al's liquid fert. for my micro nutrients (doesn't contain any macros).

My water is hard and I have a high KH at 10ppm, so I didn't get the calcium. My PH is at 8.0. I haven't tested my nitrates recently. Last check though was at 5ppm.

I have low light right now (1.7wpg), but will be getting a CF 65watt, single light strip soon (in a few days). So considering I have 3.25wpg, how much would I need to dose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyvampiress
My water is hard and I have a high KH at 10ppm, so I didn't get the calcium.
KH has nothing to do with calcium. You should get a reading of your GH for this. Although *most* water supplies with high KH also happen to have high GH, this is not always true.

with 3.25wpg you really need to consider co2 injection. just Excel wont cut it for you. cut back on the lighting if you choose not to inject.

if you plan on dosing the recommended 1/4t KNO3 per 20g's then you will not need K2SO4 as you will already be dosing plenty K. Just dose as the EI method recommends on www.barrreport.com

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyvampiress
...Currently, I have only a few plants, but I will be getting more after Monday (not sure what kind, but it will be a mix).
Does this mean you'll be making it to the meet on Sunday?

I have 20H with a 65w Aqualight over it (raised off the tank about 3" with the Coralife legs) and have been dosing it with Excel as the only carbon source. But this tank is only growing Java Fern & moss, Anubias and some Crypts so it gets by alright. But you'll do better with injected CO2 with the plants you're listing. For now I'd dose a little higher than the what's recommended on the bottle of Excel...maybe 1.5x the recommended dose.

Spar is right about the Ca. You'll need to do a GH (general hardness) test to see if you face a possible Ca deficiency. if your GH is above 5 you should be ok.

But back on topic. I'd add about 5ppm of NO3 (for your tank it's about 1/8 tsp of KNO3), 1ppm of PO4 (literally a few grains of KH2PO4) and 5ppm of K (about 1/8 tsp of K2SO4) on Mo,We,Fr. On Sa I dose after a 40-50% water change. On Su, Tu, Th I add traces (CSM+B/Flourish/TMG). For your tank I'd say about 4ml of trace mix per dose. Tom Barr doses a bit higher with no problems so you do have a bit of wiggle room.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
Does this mean you'll be making it to the meet on Sunday?

I have 20H with a 65w Aqualight over it (raised off the tank about 3" with the Coralife legs) and have been dosing it with Excel as the only carbon source. But this tank is only growing Java Fern & moss, Anubias and some Crypts so it gets by alright. But you'll do better with injected CO2 with the plants you're listing. For now I'd dose a little higher than the what's recommended on the bottle of Excel...maybe 1.5x the recommended dose.

Spar is right about the Ca. You'll need to do a GH (general hardness) test to see if you face a possible Ca deficiency. if your GH is above 5 you should be ok.

But back on topic. I'd add about 5ppm of NO3 (for your tank it's about 1/8 tsp of KNO3), 1ppm of PO4 (literally a few grains of KH2PO4) and 5ppm of K (about 1/8 tsp of K2SO4) on Mo,We,Fr. On Sa I dose after a 40-50% water change. On Su, Tu, Th I add traces (CSM+B/Flourish/TMG). For your tank I'd say about 4ml of trace mix per dose. Tom Barr doses a bit higher with no problems so you do have a bit of wiggle room.

Actually, I totally forgot about the meet up! I have a apt. appointment on Monday, a plant pick-up on Monday, school on Monday, and now if I remember a meet-up on Sunday. That's a lot to remember for me, hah. Well, except for the school. Wasserpest who lives in Salinas (very near me in Watsonville) is giving me some cuttings from one of his tanks. A very generous offer indeed, and I am thankful for it.

As for CO2, I'm going to do some research on DIY CO2 when I have a chunk of free time to learn and set it up. I'm just scared of getting yeast in my tank, and/or things exploding. :

BTW, I got the same light as you.

Oh yes, and as for my GH, it was between 10-12. I don't remember.

Thanks for the dosing tips guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode