Using limestone with 50% weekly water change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Using limestone with 50% weekly water change?

I know limestone leaches - but I have used a peice for a handfull of years in a ciclid tank. How much can it leach and how much can it effect the water if I am doing 1/2 water changes weekly.

Just wondering if ei has made the limestone arguements a little less pervasive.

Mostly wondering because if I ever did a local biotype - limestone is pretty much it
----
could not help but think of doing a local biotype after a hike I had this last weekend.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Just wondering if ei has made the limestone arguements a little less pervasive.
Good point. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. How much can it leach? You may be surprised but its worth a shot. Keep in mind that the impact on water hardness is dependent on the competence of the rock (ie. it will vary from formation to formation.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that limestone will alter not only the GH but KH as well, making it difficult to determine your CO2 concentration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Other thing I am considering - my tap water ultimately comes from a limestone lined lake. That water has so much desolved calcium in it it might actually make my current rock grow .

I have been remiss on actually testing my current water, but lfs guy who lived about 1 mile from me mentioned it was pretty (err vary) bad. But then again he was probably trying to sell an RO system.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone
Another thing to keep in mind is that limestone will alter not only the GH but KH as well, making it difficult to determine your CO2 concentration.

What? How? Where did you learn this? Can you back this up?

Limestone will affect kH. But since it adds Bicarbonates it doesn't mess up the CO2/pH/kH chart.

I know that starting with my tap water with basically 0 gH and 0 kH that I can place half a cup of crushed coral in my canister filter and have water with a gH of 17 and a kH of 11 in 7 days.

Last edited by Rex Grigg; 09-22-2005 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Mixed up the kH and pH due to typing too fast.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sorry, my bad. I was thinking of something else. Thats what I get for trying to make a quick post when I'm supposed to be working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
What? How? Where did you learn this? Can you back this up?

I know that starting with my tap water with basically 0 gH and 0 kH that I can place half a cup of crushed coral in my canister filter and have water with a gH of 17 and a pH of 11 in 7 days.
Rex, I can see exactly where Clone is coming from. While it doesn't affect the charts, it changes the Kh, meaning your last test is no longer accurate. Where is your CO2 in the above example on day 2? Day 3? Day 4? It is "difficult to determine your CO2 concentration" without testing Kh daily, as the Kh (which I assume you meant) moves from 0-11 degrees over a 7 day period.

First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
But it's not difficult. You do a pH test a kH test and look at the chart. See, not difficult, just changing.

If you assume things we all know what happens.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode