newb question on basics of planted tanks... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
newb question on basics of planted tanks...

okay i have searched and couldnt find any info (in bulk) on types of equipment i need and any special conditions for live plants and so on...

what i have learned is that some plants need more light then others and that a good lighted tank has 3 watts per gallon??

also im still looking for info on uh the c02 stuff and anything like that

before i get too far here is my tank:
45 gal (36x12x24 ish)
hagen 70 powerhead filter
24" 20 watt "perfect-a-lamp" light (old, came with tank when i bought used)
150watt aquarium heater (dont remember brand right off)
i also have a 12" airstone strip powered by a profile 1000 air pump if it matters
50 lbs of blue/black substrate on bottom (roughtly 2 to 2 1/2" around tank)

for fish:
2x angel catfish (about 3" long currently)
2x plecostamus (one 5-6" long, other 11")
2x tiger oscars (2" long) bought them and introduced them yesterday

i know that the tigers like uprooting plants and i was recomended gettig java fern and anubias and tie them to wood...a little lost still but learning.

like i said im looking for a site or post with bulk amount of info to read up on. i called petco today and they said that all you need for a plant to stay healthy is the light to be on 8-12 hours a day, and that the fish waste will provide the plants with nutrients

they also didnt know about wpg when i asked them so im asking for info here.

anything will help and if you want more info or i missed something plz let me know!! thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

okay came across a link to read up on:

http://www.rexgrigg.com/light.htm

so ill be doing that now, but any additional info would be appreciated!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
okay i have searched and couldnt find any info (in bulk) on types of equipment i need and any special conditions for live plants and so on...
You have searched this board and were not able to find any information....?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think what he was looking for was a guide with all the info in one spot instead of looking for individual bits and pieces of info.

Anyways, definately check out rex's guide.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Definately get rid of the oscars. It won't take long before just one of them outgrows your tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

jimmy was correct momo, i was looking for info in bulk and not a sentance here and a sentance there.

im actually going to keep the oscars and work with them, i know itll be a pain but a fish tank is always a work in progress...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Try www.rexgrigg.com

People tell me there is a lot of info there.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
lol Rex!

First of all, lucky03602, a planted tank isn't something that you set up and leave alone, unless you have everything regulated on timers and dosers. A planted tank is a lot of work. And all the information is right in front of you. It may not be in a 1,2,3 fashion, but what really is? You will find more information looking at all the different threads then you will with just one simple guide. If you are looking for an easy way out, you are not going to find it here.

Not trying to discourage, just thought I would point out the obvisous.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

thx rex and i had already found your guide lol

pink rasbora- i do realize that i wouldnt get "all" the information in one post or day (unfortunatly) i wanted to get the "basics" from one page or post, if i could, to start with.

i have been told that planted tanks are pretty much an everyday excercise, but then again isnt having a fishtank an everyday excercise?

with reading up on the basics (as i call them) means that i can get a little understanding of what needs to be and not to be (again in very basic terms here) and then start a planted tank up and go from there

i also realize that ill be making alot more mistakes that will cost me at first, but as i found out in my past starting up a fish tank, you learn from your mistakes!! lol

obviously i cant find any "good" info in general because i dont know what im doing yet..but im going to go get some java ferns and maybe anubias (dont know what kind yet, one kind i saw it was like azef???? i liked) this weekend or next weekend and start from there.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:10 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't know exactly what you mean by "bulk" info, tho I have been accused of being somewhat bulky!

There are articles on the homepage, discussing basics such as substrate, ferts, lighting, CO2. Rex has his guide, and several members have tons of info on their home pages. You will find a ton by searching within the general forum for general queries from newbies in the past. Depending on various members' moods at any particular time, some garner lengthy detailed answers full of info and links, while others might get more of a brush-off. And there are tons of other sites and forums out there with all kinds of info.

This site and forum are what they are. We make no apologies for not being anything else anyone might wish we were. Maybe we could restyle ourselves into an all-inclusive planted "how-to" tutorial. Someone make a note to bring that up at next years budget allocation meeting.

In the meantime, if you ask specific questions, we'll do our best to answer them.

It will cost you little to buy some java fern and anubias nana and tie it onto your rocks or whatever. Those 2 plants are pretty bulletproof, tho they will do little other than possibly survive until you up your lighting. You will have a tank with some live plants in it, but not a planted tank.

And any plants will have difficulty in your current set-up. Those plecos and oscars alone will be quite a bit (too much) for a 45 gal. I don't know anything about "angel cats."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

okay now to drop the whole info thing im all set on what i have found for now so please no more comments about it lol

i also realize that having live plants wont make my tank a planted tank but my goal is to have a planted tank with fish that alot of people would have in there tank, like plecos and such

im realizing how hard this will be on a daily basis when i come on to this forum but i like challanges and am willing to try.

oh and i do plan on upgrading my lights asap and looking into a co2 system as well.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

oh yeah also i was thinking at work and i came across an idea for my tank, weather or not youll call it a planted tank is up to you but i do have a visual goal to shoot for, that and i plan on upgrading my tank size within the next couple of months

and if everything goes the way i want it planned, and i do get to buy my own house come this spring/summer i plan on getting a bigger tank then as well so im trying to keep my tank size/species into prospective

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode