What's the best thing to feed Otos? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
What's the best thing to feed Otos?

Can anyone tell me from happy experience what prepared fish food, that is, that their Otos actually eat?
At night I have been dropping a piece of Wardley Agae Discs and they seem to be turning up their little downturned noses at it.

What prepared stuff will they actually eat??

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any kind of vegetable based flake food is good.

Frozen food like Hikari Mega Tropical is good.

Finally seaweed sheets like Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Selects (Pleco Passion, Goldfish Graze) are good.

Good luck finding the latter two... Foster & Smith used to carry it but it seems in recent months they have axed a significant portion of their inventory. (More than half the products I normally buy are all gone.)

Otos are scavangers and they tend to prefer dead or decaying plants or animals. Any time I see a tank in my LFS with otos and there is another dead fish in there, the otos are always all over it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 PM

I did an online search for the products you mentioned and found these:

http://www.aquatichouse.com/Fish%20f...%20Selects.asp

http://store.seacorals.net/ocnuseseplpa.html

I've never ordered from either of them, though.

Ocean Nutrition's web site has a dealer locator.
http://www.oceannutrition.com/index.html

My otos (The corys and angelfish do, too.) love this food:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...000+2146957627

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 01:58 AM

Unless you have an incredibly clean tank - free of algae, and no plants or plants w/ no algae on them, or unless you've got a small army of them, they usually have all they can eat from the algae growing in the tank.

If you have a new tank or quarantine tank, you can scrape some algae out of another tank, or buy a prepared food like the other responder said, or try various greens, which you may have to weigh or clip down.

I've also used bought dry algae tablets in a health food store - but unless there's no algae growing in the tank, they don't relish them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 04:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkhgh
Unless you have an incredibly clean tank - free of algae, and no plants or plants w/ no algae on them, or unless you've got a small army of them, they usually have all they can eat from the algae growing in the tank.
I would agree. As i just posted in another thread, up until a few days ago I had no idea how many otos I still had (I saw one not long ago). I never see them (assuming I have more than one). I don't feed them specifically. And I have little visible algae. Then again, if you were to offer them a treat (perhaps others can advise as to what would constitute as such) I'm sure they wouldn't mind.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm trying to recall if I've ever seen the otos eating them, but I occassionally blanch a 1" cross-section of zucchini for 30 seconds in boiling water, spear it with a plant weight, make a small cut through the green skin and sink it in the tank. It usually disappears in a day or two...but I'd guess most of the eating occurs at night when I'm not watching.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode