Angels Spawning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angels Spawning

My golden angels are spawning! They are already viciously guarding the clutch from hungry cardinals. The funny thing is- the angels are only half grown, their bodies about a silver dollar in size. Is it normal for them to spawn at this early an age?

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dont know what size they must be to spawn. I do know that I'm going to turn my 30 gallon into an angle breeing tank so I can make some extra money. Why not make your aquarium pay for itself? Do you plan on selling your baby anglefish? My LFS will buy baby angle fish form me for 1$ per fish. I don't even have any angle fish yeat, but if I can get them to breed twice a month, I'm estimating ill be making an extra 200$ per month. That will more than pay for all my aquarium equipment and chemicals.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Funny thing. I walked out into the living room after reading this and there was a mass of Angelfish eggs on the front glass.

All I have to say shuks is good luck. And they should be paying a lot more than a $1 each for anglefish. Angelfish are $1 each.

I'm not sure about anglefish but Angelfish won't really breed twice a month. At most you might get once a month. And even then many Angelfish are not the best parents. You almost need a separate tank to raise the fry.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
If their bodies (not counting fins) are a silver dollar in size, then they are plenty large enough to spawn. I believe they can start around 1 year of age. And there is really no correlation between size and age. Size depends mostly on the environment they grew up in.

Make no mistake, this is no quick and easy way to make cash. Full broods can be tough to get and tough to keep alive. not to mention the amount of baby brine shrimp that 100 - 200 (not to mention full grown fish can produce 500+ eggs) fry can go through is astronomical. And the work to keep shrimp hatching at that intake rate is taxing.

If you plan on raising 200 fish per month, and it takes about 3 months to get a saleable size, you will be stocking 600 angelfish. That's a lot of tanks, food, and maintenance. I've tried it, I don't have the schedule to keep up with it, nor do i have a productive enough breeding pair (40-50 healthy fry per brood doesn't pay for itself).

GOOD LUCK!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
I'm not sure about anglefish but Angelfish won't really breed twice a month. At most you might get once a month. And even then many Angelfish are not the best parents. You almost need a separate tank to raise the fry.

Mine spawned every 2 weeks like clockwork for 6 months, now they are down to every 3 weeks. But i most certainly needed a hatchout tank, because they ate all the eggs within 3 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 05:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tru dat... I never really considerd how many fish I would have to be holding at one time. I'd need like 10 diffrent tanks.. AHHH!. I'lll just have to feed the extra anglefish to my arowana. Hell love to munch on some of them

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 05:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
timr has some very valid points. The numbers on paper are very different from when you start raising fish. Angels are regular crap factories, and require a lot of attention to raise properly. This is why I'm trying to learn to raise less-demanding species. Not sure how it will turn out; nothing moves like angels at the LFS.

Not all angels are bad parents. I have two pair that do just fine on their own. I do agree, however, that in most cases you'll have more success if you remove the eggs and raise them separate. Angels can rattle off a batch of eggs every two weeks no problem. But this only lasts a year or two with heavy feeding. Females will eventually start to "dry out".

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I was basing my information on a talk with a local breeder of Angelfish. He has around 5000 gallons of tanks in his fish room. He goes for a spawn every month. But I seem to recall he does get more than a year from the females.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 04:52 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have bred several species of fish before. Getting them to spawn can be the easy part. Raising the fry is a real pain. They need to be fed often and the water needs to be changed daily. Very labor intensive. It is not worth the effort for raising cash IMHO. Maybe large scale and a full time would be differant.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 03:45 AM
Planted Member

I can't wait for the female to "dry out". It's hell on everyone else in the tank, and the fry never get to more than 1/4" or so, due to the fact that I never feed them.

Peter

90 Gallon, eco, pressurized, controlled, 240 watts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rex, as you mentioned, many books/breeders say angels aren't the best parents... I have yet to experience them with fry, but the angels are viciously defending the clutch. Any cardinal that comes near is chased to the other end of the tank. The most amazing thing is: they take turns eating. The female guarded the eggs while the male ate, and then they switched. This was really incredible for me to see; it shows how intelligent the animals are.

No, I'm not going to raise the batch, nor any batches in the near future. Maybe in a year or so I'll raise one or two, but I will never turn into Unirda and his crazy money making machine

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 07:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
They tend to guard the egg at first, but because most of them aren't great parents, they'll soon eat the eggs or wigglers or worse yet, the free swimmers. But if you do have good parent angels, thats one to really treasure

Taken down

Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 05:10 PM

We raised some angels last winter, and gave them to the LFS every couple of months. Last week we went to the store, and two of our babies had spawned in the store and had fry. So, they're able to breed at about 9 months. I believe some we sold at a fish club auction in April spawned in May some time.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so now there are a bunch of imbread anglefish at your local fish store that are being sold? that sucks...

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Inbreeding (or line breeding) with fish is not always a bad thing.

"it is also quite possible to inbreed a fish to enhance viability by purging recessive deleterious alleles from the population."

So if you are trying to maintain a wild stock cross breeding is importaint but take a look at fancy bettas and angels. A GOOD breeding program gets rid of defects with culls and careful selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
so now there are a bunch of imbread anglefish at your local fish store that are being sold? that sucks...

Moved to Tucson.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode