I've finally realized - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've finally realized

That the local box stores, Petsmart/Petco are useless...

We have very minimal lfs stores in the greater Little Rock area, so what am I going to do?

Do many of you purchase things from online sources as far as different plants and equipment? And if so, are there certain online sources that are better than others? Or is it just a search thing to get personal tastes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
There are a lot of reputable online venders. Start with these:
**Equipment(good prices & quick shipping): www.bigalsonline.com, www.thatpetplace.com is okay too.
**plants & more: www.aquabotanic.com, www.aquariumplant.com (both of these are our sponsors. So far, I have only ordered from aquabotanic and I recommend him).

-Ryan

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
I get alot of my stuff from BigAls, mainly because they price match, and I can get all the same product for everyone elses price and pay one one shipping.
For little things that would cost more to ship then to purchase is what those stores are good for. You might also want to do a search or look in your state section for plant clubs near you, they will tell you where the best fish stores are.
I make a weekend out of going to Lancaster, 3 hours away to go to "That Fish Place" because the store is very nice and has like everything. Even a law saying that whatever money is on you that you walk in with will not leave the store. hehe

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips gang. I went with the Hagen CO2 system for my first online purchase..lol.
If it's as good as some others have told me that they liked theirs, hopefully within ten days I'll have some CO2 working in my 10 gallon here at the office.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I hope you aren't planning on useing that tiny canister that comes with the ladder, you will need a bigger container, even for a ten gallon. If you hate the look of 2 liters , take the label off and paint or decorate it with something like newspapers! lol

14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:30 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
if you are doing diy co2, just be carefull that your soda bottles do not tip over... Search that topic and have a few laughs at other's expense.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well if you really want something that isn't going to knock over try something alittle larger, like an Arizona GreenTea bottle, which is nice and thick, and holds a gallon, with a nice handle!

14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
In smaller size, 1 and 2 liter juice bottles are much better than soda bottles. Wider mouth, wider base, thicker plastic. Much less likely to tip over.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
In smaller size, 1 and 2 liter juice bottles are much better than soda bottles. Wider mouth, wider base, thicker plastic. Much less likely to tip over.
Don't those bottles have a rubber or thick plastic washer in the lid as well, to help with sealing?

Thanks for the tip Rex...and THANKS for your informative site, I've spent some time on it and I'm taking a LOT of notes!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

I hope you folks don't mind me continually asking questions in this thread...I'd rather do that than to start a new thread for each question.

Question being:

When I make my DIY CO2 and cut a hole in the lid of the juice/soda bottle, would there be any benefit to making a DIY pvc "bulkhead" with washers and threaded pipe, snug it to the lid, silicone it to prohibit leaks, then attach a silicone line fitting on the outside end to slip the tubing on?

Just thinking out loud here, thought I'd get some suggestions.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
just drill a hole in the lid 1 or 2 32nds smaller than the tubeing and pull it through (you may have to put the tubeing in boiling water to get it through the hole) and that will seal up nicely
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

lumpyfunk speaks the truth. You can spend all day doing fancy things to try and seal the cap. Or you can just use a drill smaller than the OD of the tubing. Cut the tubing at an angle and pull it though with pliers.

This method works quite well. I have used it to run CO2 lines into all of the DIY reactors I have built as well as all my yeast based bottles.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
lumpyfunk speaks the truth. You can spend all day doing fancy things to try and seal the cap. Or you can just use a drill smaller than the OD of the tubing. Cut the tubing at an angle and pull it though with pliers.

This method works quite well. I have used it to run CO2 lines into all of the DIY reactors I have built as well as all my yeast based bottles.
Got it. So by doing that, do you not put any silicone or adhesive around the tubing to prevent any leaking? Or does the tubing make an air tight seal around the hole that is drilled smaller?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the use of silicone or adhesive was necessary I would have said so.

It's a purely mechanical seal. The fact that one has to work very hard to pull the tubing though the cap should be the first indication that it's not going to leak.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes as rex says the tube should seal itself because of the pressure. So don't go all fancy with the seal, but if you have an extra, already opened tube of sealant then make a seal around it. If done right you shouldn't really need it but if it makes you sleep better just put a seal around it and call it a day.

Have you got your recipe for the solution yet?

14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode