First post...help needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First post...help needed

Hi all...new member from the Uk here.

I have just started to dismantle my 5x2x2 ft reef tank. I will be keeping it dry for a few weeks then setting it up as a planted amazonian/discus tank.
The tank is drilled and has a 40 gallon sump underneath which i will use for alphagrog and flocor filter media plus other equipment.

My question concerns my lighting. I currently have two 150w, 10,000k metal halides plus two T8 actinic tubes (48")

The options i have is to get rid of the halides altogether, use the actinic starters but replace the tubes with FW tubes and add another two 54w T5's....or to keep the halides.

Halides obviously give more of a punch but would the 10,000k bulbs be too blue in colour (they're ideal for the reef).

What would you suggest. I will be using an Aquamedic CO2 system and there will be a mixed plant community ranging from lower light stuff to very high light loving plants.

Your suggestions would be most welcome

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use 10,000k bulbs in my planted awuarium. I don't see any hint of blue at all. I think that 10,000k are perfict for plants, and the collours they give off look very natural. I don't know what people mean when they say that 10,000k give off too much blue light because I don't see any blue at all with my lights.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use 10,000k bulbs in my planted awuarium. I don't see any hint of blue at all. I think that 10,000k are perfict for plants, and the collours they give off look very natural. I don't know what people mean when they say that 10,000k give off too much blue light because I don't see any blue at all with my lights. Using lights for a saltwater aquarium works perfictly fine. I use the corallife compact flourecent light. I bought all the light secon hand from my neighbour that used them on his reef tank. He tore down his old reef tank so he could purchase a bigger tank, and he sold me all his lights for a great deal. I got about 340$ worth of lights for about 150$. They work great for growing plants

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Natural sunlight comes out at approx 6500k and the bulbs for that verge on the side of yellow. The higher the kelvin, the bluer the appearance of the bulb. Bulbs of 20,000k + tend to replicate deep water reef tanks.

My 10,000k lamps are more a crisp white/blue. But they make my coralsa grow like mad. I just didn't know if the K rating was suitable for FW plants or whether it would make my planted tank too unnatural.

Andy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have 10000K MH on one tank and 6500K on another. Both look very good IMO. If you have the 10000K MH already and the bulbs are fine save the money and use them. If you want to replace the T8s go 6500K on those.

The sump system will make it hard to keep CO2 levels up in the 30ppm range. Do a search here and see how other ppl have gotten around that problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:28 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
with those MH lights make sure the discus have plenty of plant cover to hide under! I'd love to see some pics of the setup process!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 02:32 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Jevs, if your current lights make your corals grow like mad, I would go ahead and keep them. It means the organisms lliving in the corals are photosynthesizing like crazy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I also have 10,000k lights and have no problems. I also added more light using overdrivin 6,500k with the 10,000k and really like the light it puts out, so do my plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode