HELP Lighting and C02 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
odw

PTrader: (0/0%)
HELP Lighting and C02

Hi, I currently have a 55 gallon tank. I use 260watts of light. 2 10k and 2 12k PC bulbs. My plants seem to have halted on the growth. I was told that all my light is eating up C02 levels. Now, my question is.. I know this is true, but root problem? and if so will paint ball co2 canisters work? Will just leaving the lights on for a shorter period of time work? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
For a tank that large, especially with that much light, paint ball Co2 and DIY Co2 just won't cut it. Pressurized Co2 is about the only way to go. You should also get yourself on a consistent dosing regimen. Keeping the lights on for 10-12 hrs should be fine. Leaving them on for longer as you currently stand will just grow an algae farm. Also, maybe someone else can confirm, but I think that 5k-10k is the approximate range of normal lighting for planted tanks. 12k may not be appropriate...it may work, but the amount that the plants use may be minimal. Good luck.
-Ryan

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Are you adding any nutrients?

If so what kind and how much and how often?

And on a tank with that much light you pretty much HAVE to have CO2. And yes you could make paint ball cylinders work. But the startup costs as well as the long term operating costs would both be much higher than a conventional pressurized CO2 system.

You can assemble a manual pressurized system for ~$150.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:44 AM

are you sure about the colour temperture thing? i heard all colour temperture bulbs work on plants. the only difference is how we people see it.

by the way, i am using 14000k bulbs!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
odw

No, no nutrients. I am somewhat new to the planted tank. Anyway, I have some plant substrate but it says not to use with limestone and since I have holy rock......

Custom C02 under 150? any links? I found a few things at a web site I purchase aquarium accessories from. I would like opinions

Carbo-Plus:Carbo-Plus

CO2 Natural Plant System: Natural System

Thanks for all the quick replies I really appreciate it
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Stop.

Turn off half your lights or you will have problems beyond belief. It's not wholly the lack of CO2 that is causing your plant growth to stall. It's more likely a total lack of nutrients.

Read my Guide.

Pay very close attention to the sections on Fertilizers.

Now use the search function and search for Carbo-Plus

The Natural System is inadequate for your lighting setup and tank size.

You can assemble a manual pressurized CO2 system for around $150.

You need a regulator. Can be found on-line for around $50.

You need a needle valve. Can be found on-line with an adapter to help fit it to the regulator for around $20.

You need tubing. On-line for a few dollars.

You need a cylinder. Find it locally. See my Guide for suggested places to look.

You need a method to get the CO2 into the water. If you have a canister filter you can build a DIY PVC reactor for around $15.

Or you can use the bubble counter/diffuser that is in that Natural System.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Quote:
Originally Posted by combo30101
are you sure about the colour temperture thing? i heard all colour temperture bulbs work on plants. the only difference is how we people see it.

by the way, i am using 14000k bulbs!
Yes, I realize that its just how we see it, but I seem to remember hearing somewhere that 5,000k (or is it 5,500k) ---> 10,000k is the best range for plants. Maybe if someone could confirm...

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

5500-10,,000 is normally the best range for plants.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
odw, I would highly suggest a pressurized system. Don't worry about the money, because if you don't upgrade the costs will be more in the long run to correct it later. Also pay very close attention to Rex's suggestions, its straight forward and will help you get back onto the right path.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tropical noon sun is ~6700 K. It is my opinion that the first priority is intensity (lumens) as plants are remarkably adaptable to specturm ONCE there is enough light. For example, buying a underpowered "plant" lamp with "plant spectrum" is not a fix.

Now as rex is saying (to get back to the origional post) is that all things must be balanced. Too much of anything (light, nutrients, etc) with respect to the system will cause problems.

Welcome to the hobby odw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram
Yes, I realize that its just how we see it, but I seem to remember hearing somewhere that 5,000k (or is it 5,500k) ---> 10,000k is the best range for plants. Maybe if someone could confirm...

Moved to Tucson.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode