CO2 Problems…. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
CO2 Problems….

CO2 Problems….

I have been using DIY co2 to feed my 72 gal tank..
Which I have been told in not providing enough CO2 for my Tank.

I am saving up for the Pressured system..(hopefully a month away)

I was wondering if I can use Flourish EXECL, till I get my pressured setup.

How much should I dose, and what are the pros or cons..
Any help is always appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
One question here is "What is not enough?"

I bring that up because I had DIY CO2 on my 100 gal tank for over a year, and things were growing great. I never got what someone defined as "optimum levels", but any addition will increase plant growth and supress algae growth.

So... one solution to "not enough" would be to add another bottle to the DIY mix, which increases the output.

A few other ways: Reduce surface agitation, cover tank tightly, use a reactor that dissolves 100% of the injected CO2. Likewise, if you reduce high light levels, you will get away with lower CO2 levels.

A month with suboptimal CO2 will not be a problem...

Regarding Excel, not sure, I suggest dose it according to label instructions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
What Wasserpest said is very true. You do get benefits from CO2 even if sub-optimal. Excel gets expensive real quick on a tank that size, but does work. How much light are you using? With limited CO2, you want to keep your lighting down to a reasonable level - on your tank, I'd suggest no more than 2wpg.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
most people using pressurized c02 want to keep levels betweyne 20-30 ppm. However, c02 levels that high are not nessasery. It's just like giving your plant steroids. It really isn't nessasery to have c02 levels so high, people just like their plant to grow really fast I guess. Plants that grow in lakes or rivers are accustomed to c02 levels around 3-4 ppm. Thats all they really need to grow. My 75 gallon is running a DIY c02 settup, and I have levels of about 14 ppm. Alot of people tell me that my c02 levels are way to low, but my plants grow well, and after the first 2 weeks of planting, algy hase not come back. I'm not really sure why people tell you your c02 levels are to low because as long as you have around 3-4 ppm of c02 your plant will grow fine(just not that fast). I've grown plants in my 75 gallon without any c02 injection at all. There is a very good artical about growing plants without c02 at the "bar report" website. Some people will say that without c02 you can only grow low light plants, but thats simply not true. Anyone who can't grow plants without injecting c02 isn't very experianced. Yes, c02 helps controll algy, but if you know what your dooing then algy shouldn't be a problem.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks 4 th e replyies..

Wasserpest : i was having problems with Spot alage and brown alage..
in my other thread you sujjected upping the co2.. i cannot increase my DIY co2 production.. i am using a powered co2 reactor and i have zero surface agitation..

I could do reduce th elight.. i have 4 X55 CF lights which are on for about 11hr/day

should i reduce th ephoto period or should i turn 2 blubs off..

Thanks again for you insight...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you can run 3 of the 4 tubes, that would be good, imo. If not, then go for it and keep an eye on what's going on in the tank. As I said, Excel is a good product, it just gets pricey when used in larger tanks. I don't know how long your tank has been set up, but remember it is fairly common to have some algae issues in new tanks. Good luck.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

sorry Shuks.. i must have missed ur post...
i have green spot alage and brown algae..
i am trying to get rid of it..
also my tank has been set up ofr 7 months..

do you get spot alage on ur tanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamla
Wasserpest : i was having problems with Spot alage and brown alage..
in my other thread you sujjected upping the co2.. i cannot increase my DIY co2 production.. i am using a powered co2 reactor and i have zero surface agitation..

I could do reduce th elight.. i have 4 X55 CF lights which are on for about 11hr/day

should i reduce th ephoto period or should i turn 2 blubs off.
LOL, I should be better keeping track...

Maybe your tank is still new, balances not yet established, or the usual cycles of algae during the initial phase of a tank.

Not sure what to say. If you do go pressurized in a month or so I wouldn't sweat it, just keep things doing as you have so far.

You could reduce the photoperiod a little... Some ppl turn on lights at noon and off at 9 or 10 so they can look at the tank in the evenings.

Brown algae usually disappears after a few days. Green Spot is sometimes a sign for low phosphate, although some have reported GSA even with high phosphate levels. Make sure it is at least 0.5 ppm...

I'd suggest just to sit back and enjoy the tank a little, without too many worries... algae always come and go.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks guys...
i do love watching my tank..
but my better half keeps asking me "how our tank doesnot look as clean as th etank in th epics?"

do you guys get spot alage or is it just me????
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think it's a safe bet to say you're not the only one with spot algae! Up your PO4's a little. When I do my weekly water changes, part of the routine is wiping the glass down to remove a little green dust from the glass. I usually don't do the back glass, except every month or so, and by then the stuff has gotten harder to remove, but it's often covered up by plants, so I don't see it. Have fun with your tank!

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
ya, it's nothing a little elbow grease cant take care of

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode