Feeding Spiders - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Feeding Spiders

My home has had on outbreak of Brown Recluse "Fiddleback" spiders this summer. Normally I'm too afraid to get near them and I just spray them to make sure they can't escape. But recently it's gotten personal and I want to see the spiders suffer. I haven't gotten bitten or anything but I absolutely am horrified of them. Anyway, since these guys are poisonous, I was wondering if anyone knows if they would be bad to feed to my Angelfish? I'm assuming that I would be in more danger than they would. I caught something similar to a bee and my Angel loved it when I had him in my non-planted tank. So I'm wondering.. can their poison be transferred to the digestive system or does this only need to be worried about in the form of a bite? What about the plants? My tank doesn't have anything to worry about if I throw these guys in there occasionally does it?

Carpet-Pond

Eheim Pimp #159: Eheim 2233 Ecco & Eheim 2211 canisters.

55g planted- 80deg F.
2 Coralife Aqualights 65w 6700k + 2 15w lights .
Pressurized CO2 5lb tank.
Substrate: 1" Tex blast, 2" Flourite & Eco Complete, ~.25" sand.

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:03 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
no

"The bite of the brown recluse spider can result in a painful, deep wound that takes a long time to heal. Fatalities are extremely rare, but bites are most dangerous to young children, the elderly, and those in poor physical condition. When there is a severe reaction to the bite, the site can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue). The open wound may range from the size of an adult's thumbnail to the span of a hand. The dead tissue gradually sloughs away, exposing underlying tissues. The sunken, ulcerating sore may heal slowly up to 6 to 8 weeks. Full recovery may take several months and scarring may remain."

I would say don't chance your fish getting bitten because it says their bite kills the tissue around the area and leaves a hole... Im sure having the spiders poisin in your water couldn't be too good either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:26 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I would also recommend against it. Why risk making your Angel suffer, when you can just step on the spider and get over with it?

I feed a lot of insects and spiders from my backyard to my fishies, especially, of course, to the African Butterflies. I never considered it making the insects "suffer" though, that just sounds weird.

Once I caught a wasp (one of the thin red/brown ones, not a yellow jacket) and fed it to my Cichlids and the one that ate it obviously got stung, he showed some stress colors and was breathing heavy for a couple of minutes. Made me feel bad for my stupidity afterwards. No more stinging and biting things for my fishies.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ya, I guess you guys are right. Darnit I was looking forward to fattening him up with them. Especially after seeing the post from last year with that huge Hobo spider or whatever it was next to the clock. You could probably chop that thing up and have 6 months supply of food for your tanks. I've seen some "rolly pollies" around here (apartments can really suck) and I'm guessing that's what has attracted the fiddlebacks. I'll see if I can feed those instead.

Carpet-Pond

Eheim Pimp #159: Eheim 2233 Ecco & Eheim 2211 canisters.

55g planted- 80deg F.
2 Coralife Aqualights 65w 6700k + 2 15w lights .
Pressurized CO2 5lb tank.
Substrate: 1" Tex blast, 2" Flourite & Eco Complete, ~.25" sand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode