Which online store is the best to buy your plants. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Which online store is the best to buy your plants.

I am planning on buying a plant package for my 10 gallon tank. I am wondering which oniline aquarium plant store do you think has a better deal and plant quality. I narrow it down to two sites.....
http://www.freshwateraquariumplants....egory_Code=PAP
which has 11 plants for 17.99, they chose plants that suits your tank's condition.

and http://aquariumplant.com/cgi-bin/cart/as080.html
which has 12 for 24.99, they chose plants randomly.

So if anyone has experience with these online stores or just want to give me input which store they think is better, please respond.

thanks!

P.s this my first post! hurray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have you joined the SFBAAPS (San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society) yet? One meeting, and you'll have more than enough plants for a 10-gallon tank. And the plants are free! I believe the next meeting will be in SF, but I'm not sure yet.

Nolan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Planted Member

I haven't done business with either of the two companies that you are considering, but I have a suggestion.

Why not do some research and choose the plants that you decide would be best for your new aquarium? You would learn quite a bit by doing that, and if you wanted to, you could bounce your ideas off the members of this board. You'd probably end up with a more satisfactory selection.

Good luck.

Bill

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow! People are giving away free plants! Cool i'll look in to it.

I have already done research on the plants suited for my tank…. Currently it’s a 10 gallon tank with two screw in fluorescence 10 watt 6500k light bulbs from walmart. So 2wpg, Is that right? I have a diy co2, tetra flora pride and regular gravel. I have an anubias nana attached to a driftwood, a Japanese rush and a anubias barteri The tank has been running for 6months and little improvement has been done on it. The plan for my tank is to first of all add more light, I found 2 screw in fluorescence 20 watt 6500k light for 8 bucks at walmart for a total of 40 wpg. Buy a bag of seachem fluorite to have 50/50 mix with gravel. And buy more plants. Sounds ok with you guys? I want low-light loving plants.

My plant wish list includes:
Java fern
Java fern lace windelov
Java moss
Cryptocoryne ( wendti, lucen etc…)
Hornwort
Borneo/African fern

Plants I want in my tank but not sure if they are suited for my tank. Some people say they are low light and some say they aren’t:
Dwarf hygrophilla
Tiger lotus
Corkscrew vals
Dwarf sag

These plants should be ok in my 10 gallon’s condition. I am surrounded by petco, petmarts and LFS but their plants are either over priced or in poor condition. So I thinking my best bet is to buy my plants online hoping they would give me plants in good condition.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A local club is always the best bet.

If you decide to go the online route look on aquabid.com, but before you bid on anything, post this list in the swap and shop section. The plants you get will be better quality and many times people will send them to you for the price of shipping. Give me amonth and I would be happy to send you 3-4 plantlets of Corkscrew vals, and Dwarf sags, and some Java Moss. The vals and dwarf sags are just starting to take off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You have two watts per gallon over the tank. At best you have 1 watt per gallon in the tank. And that's not a lot of light in a 10 gallon tank.

Take a few minutes and read through my Guide.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the replys.... I emailed the SF plant club for more info.

So if I upgrade my lights to the 2 bulb 20watt i'll get 2wpg? Is that still good for the low light plants I listed above? My anubias are doing nicely, so My best bet are just low light plants.

SO how would tiger lotus, val,sag and water sprite do in a 2wpg tank? with flourite,co2 and plant food.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Safado maybe we can work something out.... If you don't want the anymore, I will gladly take it from you. but it depends if I have enough light for the val and sag. Two 10 watt bulbs (1wpg) apprently is not enough light for a 10 gallon tank. Hopefully the two 20 watt is enough light!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 12:28 AM

Just ordered from Aquariumplant.com... The plants arrived OK I guess, looked a little had it, and there were some brown leaves.

Aquariumplants stated: "Ludwigia,NarrowLeaf(Ludwigiapalustris)(LARGEsize9 "-11",6-8stems)" What I got was 5" maybe 6" at best. and I got exactlly 6 stems.

Ive never ordered plants on-line before so I really have nothing to compare my experience to?

All in all Id say that I am somewhat satisfied with the order i received.

Will I order from them again? Well Id try another place first... but I would order again.

Hope this helps

Josh
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great! it helps!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumpete
Safado maybe we can work something out.... If you don't want the anymore, I will gladly take it from you. but it depends if I have enough light for the val and sag. Two 10 watt bulbs (1wpg) apprently is not enough light for a 10 gallon tank. Hopefully the two 20 watt is enough light!
Java moss should do well whether you upgrade your lights or not. Check this thread out. This is an example of someone helping out their fellow hobbyists.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20979

First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 02:55 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Don't forget AquaBotanic! Great online retailer.

You can always browse our Swap n Shop section for some great plant deals!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Shalu also (from the bay area) did his 10 gallon set up with only 2 15 watt 30wpg and 2700k. It sounds too good to be true but he did it! "role model!"

The wpg rule on smaller tanks doesn't seem to apply to him or most of the planted tank rules............... What is he doing so different?

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14469

I'm so glad I found this site!

Last edited by platinumpete; 09-12-2005 at 12:32 AM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumpete
thanks for the replys.... I emailed the SF plant club for more info.

So if I upgrade my lights to the 2 bulb 20watt i'll get 2wpg? Is that still good for the low light plants I listed above? My anubias are doing nicely, so My best bet are just low light plants.

SO how would tiger lotus, val,sag and water sprite do in a 2wpg tank? with flourite,co2 and plant food.

Not well at all. Everyone of those plants gets much too large for a 10 gallon tank very quickly. In fact you could fill a 10 gallon tank with a single Tiger Lotus in less than a month.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
You know, believe it or not, clubs are not al that anxious to have a new member who just wants free plants. When you go to a meeting they have plants that various people have chipped in, and you are expected to donate some of your own. I find Aquabid quite perplexing. I sell plants there, but the majority of the plants up for bid by everyone are never bid on, particularly the most common ones, and the plants sold on Aquabid often go for much higher prices than what you can buy them online for. Some people use made up names for the plants, exaggerate their rareness or other features, and there are even some that are not true aquatic. There is a guy on Aquabid that a lot of people like, but he sells his plants for two or three times higher than anyone on the internet like me does. I just don't get it. The best buys on aquabid are from trusted hobbyists that are selling plants that are not available from anyone else. They got these plants from trades with people in Asia and they are not commonly sold here. These are plants I can"t get. But a newbie can't grow plants that require complicated care.

Just remember a few things. No matter who you buy your plants from. They never look exactly like the pictures. Plants vary in size. Nobodys plants are always consistent, it is impossible. There is always a chance some of the plants may suffer a bit in shipping. Provide the best possible conditions for your plants. Buy from someone who you feel you can trust and just go for it. It is kinda hard to screw up a java fern. It is going to look basically the same no matter where you buy it.

Borneo fern is not aquatic. Corkscrew vals are generally shorter than other vals, but still may get too tall. Vals need a lot more light than what you have. I dont know what dwarf Hygro is. This has been mentioned before, but to my knowlege there is no such thing. There is Hygrophila corymbosa compact... but that is really not a dwarf specie in the true sense. I think your best bet is the java ferns, moss, Anubias and Cryptocorynes.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode