How many of you actually dose Mg? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How many of you actually dose Mg?

How many of you actually dose Mg(Epsom salt)?
What are the signs of deficiency or dosing too much?

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 04:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
i sprinkle a bit at water changes, more for helping my livebearers remain proper electrolyte balance in my soft tap water... also add baking soda for KH and dose K+. so Ca is the only major electrolyte that I don't add in some form, and I'm thinking of starting, as my plants are showing Ca deficiency or K+ overdose, can't tell which (if there's really a difference). So short answer, yes. just a pinch or two per 30 gallons. is it necessary? probably not if you have a decent GH or fish and plants that do ok in soft water. I'm about 50/50 on both counts... fish are mix of fish that like moderately hard water (livebearers, american flagfish..) and fish that like soft water (gouramis, soft water dwarf cichlids, cory cats, dwarf plecos (clowns and bristlenoses). I really just tried it as an experiment because I was losing lots of livebearers, and lost all my celebes rainbowfish.. thought the low GH might have had something to do with it. As far as your plants are concerned... it's doubtful you'll run into any real trouble without dosing it, but it's definitely *possible* to burn through it in a high light, high CO2, EI-style setup. signs of deficiencies can be found here:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

Mg deficiency from that site:

Yellow spots
Often appears similar to iron deficiency since mg deficiency prevents a plant from properly using iron.
Yellowing of old leaves starting from edges while major veins remain green

I should also note that I dose iron pretty heavily to try to color up my crypts, ludwigias, and ceylon hygro, if i'm adding excess Mg, it's likely being assimlated during iron uptake, which I'm trying push for redder reds. I really rambled WAY more than I meant to in that post. Hope it helps somewhat.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I sometime mix it in, but usually when I do, its mixed in with my Plantex CSM+B solution (1 TB + 250 mL H2o, and roughly 1 tsp epsom salt). I add this every other day (5-6 mL).

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just dose Magnesium when I do watter changes to get my gh back up to 80 ppm. To raise my watter's gh, I add 50% calcium amd 50% magnesium untill my watter's gh is back to where I want it. Since magnesium and calcium are trace nutreince, they dont really need to be dosed regulary. Just dose these things after water changes to bring your watter hardness back to the level where you want. If you dose 100% magnesium or 100% calcium to raise your water gh, you will probably run into deffeciences in one of the two nutreince. Thats why I believe magnesium is best dosed 50/50 with calcium.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

I use RO/DI water for my water changes, so I add it.

I raise the GH of the water by 6 degrees. To do this I add calcium and magnesium in a 4:1 calcium:magnesium ratio based on molecular weight.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 12:08 PM

I mix mine in with my Plantex CSM+B solution
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
I have read a lot about mg recently. I have just recently aquired some mg and I am going to start including it in my WC.

jB
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 08:22 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
My GH is >10 and I recently discovered that I had an Mg deficiency. Check out this recent thread (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20821). It seems that Mg deficiency is actually somewhat common.

For me, the primary symptom was stunted, twisted leaves on my Alternanthera reineckii. I think it is also the reason that my stellatus has struggled. If you look at the last couple shots in my photo album (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...9&page=4&pp=15) you should be able to see the differences in the reineckii (back left corner) and stellatus (to the right of the reineckii).

My symptoms didn't match what Chuck Gadd has posted. My symptom actually match the Ca deficiency more closely.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode