Trying to ID this plant - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trying to ID this plant

Does anyone know what this plant might be? It's from Rhett Butler's Yucatan Cenote photos at Mongabay.com. It's the fern-like carpet growth...

Thanks,

Mahlon

http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/m/...cenotes062.jpg

Well, I can't get the image to post. Can someone point out where my syntax is wrong? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The last tag should be /IMG and they should both be IMG instead of image

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for that...

Mahlon

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
interesting pic, intruiging plant.

mahlon, welcome to the planted tank! I see you're from memphis... I'm right across the river in Jonesboro, AR. Glad to see you here! There's been a slow trickle of mid-southerners to the site recently, and I'm very optimistic about what it means for aquaria as a hobby in the region. I'd love to pick your brain about local stores / clubs if you're interested. I'm using Bob's Tropicals pretty heavily these days for my fish, and occasionally for plants. Welcome, and see you around!

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 06:43 AM

Hi,

I have not been able to ID that plant. If anyone has any ideas I would love to know. There are more pictures at http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_cenotes_mexico.htm if it helps.

I will probably be adding a large number of new biotope pictures to mongabay.com after 11/1. I will be spending most of October in Peru.

Best regards,

Rhett
mongabay.com
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongabay
Hi,

I have not been able to ID that plant. If anyone has any ideas I would love to know. There are more pictures at http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_cenotes_mexico.htm if it helps.

I will probably be adding a large number of new biotope pictures to mongabay.com after 11/1. I will be spending most of October in Peru.

Best regards,

Rhett
mongabay.com

Great. Mongabay is a super resource. Can't remember if you have a donation section or not. Will look.

Oqsy, thanks. Yep, I'm new here and pretty new to the hobby, so brain-picking would probably not help you much.
But I would like to know more about what's going on in the area. Whatever I find out, I'll let you know, and like-wise?

Mahlon
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The plants could be some sort of freshwater macroalgae, such as stonewort.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
It really does look like something that you would see in a saltwater tank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 03:03 AM

It reminds me of something I saw here: http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484

(hopefully you don't have to join to see the picture). If you can't see it, it's a liverwort that was collected in Japan.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
To me it looks like an algae covered mat of a stem plant like micranthemoides. The pictures are interesting. Looks like an Amano tank. And people say Amano's stuff is too artificial! This shows there really is carpet bottoms in nature.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Planted Member

Are you sure that it is freshwater, that looks as if it is coraline algae on the rocks near it.

Do you have a side view of it or could you pull a rock up and snap a shot like that?

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic."
Indira Gandhi

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 AM

The consensus seems to be that the plant is a Chara or stonewort species, a freshwater macroalgae. Coming across such a rich, lawn-like landscape in a freshwater habitat was a first for me. Looked like something out of Amano.

Rhett

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode