What deficiency is this?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What deficiency is this??

For the past 2 or 3 weeks I've been seeing a deficiency of some sort, especially in the vals. The val leaves grow in with ragged, brown edges and the older leaves start to melt in random places. I noticed that the vals started going downhill once I started chopping off the runners, don't know if that's relevant. The java fern have a few small brown splotches (not spores though). I tried looking at the chart on Chuck's site but since new and old leaves are affected I'm a bit confused.

8 gal, 2 x 15w, ~30ppm CO2
Day 1: 50% WC, 1/16 tsp KNO3, 1/32 tsp KCl, 2 ml NaH2PO4 (2 ppm), 1/16 tsp MgSO4
Day 2: 1.5 ml Trelmix (0.1 ppm)
Day 3 & 5: 1/16 tsp KNO3, 1/32 tsp KCl, 2 ml NaH2PO4 (2 ppm)
Day 4 & 6: Same as day 2

Thanks for any input.

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have the same problem with my vals. the older leaves turn brown around the edges and start to die. It shoot up lots of runners, but I havent seen a leaf grow more than 7 inch before it turns brown like you said.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:35 AM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
i am but a humble algae grower, with no worldly experiance at anything but growing fuz.

Sounds a little like what I see in my tank. I am hoping that it is just a reaction to 5 watt/gallon. If there is plenty of light - spread out and fill the bottom. Not enough light, then grow towards the sun. Tops of the vals are on near surface - about 8-10 inches from pendent.

this has no factual evidence but my own hopes and meandering thoughts.

58gal Oceanic
250watt metal halide 10k
cheep substrate - blast sand
starting ei
presurized co2 with ladder

Last edited by jgc; 09-09-2005 at 03:50 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:44 AM

I think you're onto something JG! Samething with my corkscrew vals. They stay short(er) and the old leaves get ragged and brown. New leaves look great for about 2 weeks then start to decline. I have a 250watt 10k MH pendant over a circular tank that is 32 inches deep ( to the sand).

On the other hand, everything else is thriving, I've got a sword that just won't quit flowering and sending out new leaves, various dwarf sagittarias that just recently started flowering, a crypt that has an inflorescence peeking and everything pearls like there's no tomorrow!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I don't have all that much light over my tank but they did well before. Although then I didn't have as many plants. Do you think it's possible that it's a N deficiency? I know vals like their N. Hmm it seems like it could be quite a few things but I just don't know what to dose *shrug*

Yes! I snuggle with rats!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode