Is my dosing okay? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is my dosing okay?

Hi, I have a 24 gallon planted tank. With 68watts of light and pressurised Co2 at about 25ppm (trying to increase that to 30ppm). After my weekly 30% waterchange i add these:

- 1 ml Seachem's Iron
- 5 ml Seachem's Potassium
- 1 ml Seachem's Phosphorus (trying to get to 1ppm)
- 1 ml Seachem's Flourish

Does that sound right? My nitrates are usually around 10-20ppm, so i dont dose that. I'll get more test figures just before my next waterchange.

I am still getting a fair bit of Green Spot Algae, though my plant growth is great. What do i adjust to get rid of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Damn! I upped my Co2 a bit too much i think. It jumped from 25ppm to 60ppm!

I'm surprised no fish died with the PH swinging to 6.4. Anyways, i'll decrease the level and try and get it stable at 30ppm CO2.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
ph swings due to co2 injection does not affect fish. only ph swings due to hardness (KH) changes will. so you can ignore that drop to 6.4, as it is only a reference point to calculate your co2.

60ppm is a little high, but I keep mine at 50ppm no problem, so as long as no fish are gasping, you are fine.

sorry I have no experience with all those various Seachem fertilizers, so I am of no help on you dosing amounts being correct.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Follow the label dosing instructions.

For 24 gallons of water:

Flourish Iron - 2.5 mL daily
Flourish Potassium - 3.5 mL three times per week
Flourish Phosphorus - 3 mL twice per week
Flourish - 2 mL twice per week
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
I am still getting a fair bit of Green Spot Algae, though my plant growth is great. What do i adjust to get rid of that?
Try upping your phosphates to 2-3ppm. I would do it stepwise - 1.5, 2.0, etc. Examine your results weekly and stop when the problem is taken care of.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar
ph swings due to co2 injection does not affect fish. only ph swings due to hardness (KH) changes will. so you can ignore that drop to 6.4, as it is only a reference point to calculate your co2.
I don't think that is quite right... Not an expert, but you can definitely kill your poor fishies if CO2 goes too high. And no, don't ignore the pH dropping to 6.4. It is not just a reference point, it is the actual pH dropped that low because of H2 ions.

Of course, like I said, I am not an expert and could be totally off.

I also think there is no point in increasing CO2 levels that high. Yes you can, but why? Maybe your fish can't scream, but how do you really know they wouldn't like to?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
the next line that I typed hit up the co2 being too high high part. the actual change in pH itself is what I was saying wouldn't hurt the fish... but if the decrease in pH was due to co2 being way off the charts, then yes, ignoring the pH drop would not have been a good idea. so, ignore the comment about "totally ignoring the pH drop".

plenty of people on the board have had huge pH swings with no problem when injecting co2. i keep my co2 on 24/7 so dont get a huge swing, but when i turned it off at night I would have around a .5-.8 swing. no problem with the fish.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Algae Grower

Be sure to watch your Nitrates as you're increasing your Seachem doses. The plants could start using up the Nitrates and with the addition of Phosphates you could have an unexpected algae bloom. Phosphates around 1/10th of Nitrates is the general rule I believe. Then you should see the green spots disappear.

Carpet-Pond

Eheim Pimp #159: Eheim 2233 Ecco & Eheim 2211 canisters.

55g planted- 80deg F.
2 Coralife Aqualights 65w 6700k + 2 15w lights .
Pressurized CO2 5lb tank.
Substrate: 1" Tex blast, 2" Flourite & Eco Complete, ~.25" sand.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
Follow the label dosing instructions.

For 24 gallons of water:

Flourish Iron - 2.5 mL daily
Flourish Potassium - 3.5 mL three times per week
Flourish Phosphorus - 3 mL twice per week
Flourish - 2 mL twice per week
Thanks, I didnt realise i had to do the Iron daily.

I have done 2 x 5ml doses of Phosphorus this week. Hoping to raise PO4 and get rid of GSA. one thing i noticed is that my tank walls very very quickly get covered in a fine fine layer of green agae. Only takes about 1-2 full days after i wipe it clean.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Just checked their (Seachem) website and saw they have a dosing chart:

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantChart.pdf

I'll try and follow this for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode