water prams are: 30 gallons
pH 6.7
KH 4
which would put me at about 24 ppm of CO2
no nitrite/ammonia.
nitrate 80 ppm
130 watts

How come my plants don't pearl anymore?

oh yeah, dosing of PMDD follows the formula on the krib. 2 drops/ 10 gallon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
PMDD is out of date. Most prefer dosing NPK/trace separately nowadays. The main thing it lacks is phosphate. PO4 contributes a lot to pearling. Without PO4, your NO3 consumption rate is also much lower, which probably explains why you have high NO3. You can read up on EI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
80 ppm of Nitrates? Why so high? Levels that high will stress fish and kill some invertebrae. I keep my NO3 around 10 ppm, 20 ppm is probably okay for a high light tank, but higher doesn't do much good to anyone.

I am not too familiar with PMDD, does it contain all the necessary traces?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

I knonw, I know the nitrates are high. I've not done a water change in about a week. But it's always been high for me. Dunno why......

I ordered the PMDD mix from Greg, and I'm pretty sure it has all the necessary traces. I don't recall.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wasser this is a copy and paste from Greg's site:

PMDD premix contains:
1 part Potassium Nitrate,
1 part Potassium Sulfate,
1 part Magnesium Sulfate, and
1 part Plantex CSM+B.

Shalu is right, no PO4. Sarah you could certainly try dosing a Fleet enema (unless you have another readily available source) for the rest of the week and see if that helps. Using the EI method, I dose 2mL, 1mL, 1mL ie 4mL per week. If you want to see the math I have posted it in the past.

Interesting Shalu I did not know that low PO4 caused low nitrate uptake. Now you can see the potential dilemna in using the premix. Sarah cannot cut back on her nitrates without cutting back on the traces. But if it makes life easier for her, and it works...

The other thing this brings to light: I am not dosing nearly as much magnesium as this 1:1:1:1 ratio would dictate. I wonder if some of my stunted growth lately may be due to Mg deficiency. I am keeping an eye on my tank and BSS's thread.

Let us know how it works out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
2 drops per 10 gallons is woefully inadequate. With that mix you should be dosing more like 10 ml per 10 gallons.

Of course that's following the formula on The Krib.

Each ml of the formula they have will dose .5 ppm of nitrates in 10 gallons of water. So you should be dosing at least 10 ml per 10 gallons and actually more like 20 ml per 10 gallons.

I really wish that The Krib would/could be updated.

Sarah,

Get some KNO3 and make a test solution. I'm betting your test kit is wonked.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:32 AM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

when I played with the math - trying to figure out pmdd with ei rates, I came up with dosages of 1 teaspoon of pmdd on mirco days, and a 1/4 teaspoon of KNO3 and KH2PO4 on macro days for my 58 gallon aquarium. Just got the KNO3 and KH2PO4 today - so if this thread lives, will post the results

right now with only PMDD I have the most beautifull, thick growth of algae I could ever dream (nightmare that is) about. over 1/2 inch of fuzz grows every day. Will be doing tank renovations as soon as I can get off work before the lfs closes.

Today was D(osage) Day - first day of KH2PO4 - am hoping to see more pearling and less fuzz. Thinking I was probably over doing it on the pmdd as well - will see (might put the pmdd away and just to strait chems for a bit)

Last edited by jgc; 09-07-2005 at 01:48 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

So it turns out that Greg also sent a package of Mono Potassium Phosphate. Is that what you guys are talking about when it comes to adding phosphate?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
Yep.

Also, make up a test solution with a known value like Rex suggested or try a different test. I have a feeling your kit is whack.

- Erik

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode