Empty 90 Gallon tank, Need input - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Empty 90 Gallon tank, Need input

So let's get the foreground laid here. I am an Amazon FREAK and that is just what I intend to do with this beautiful garage sale gem I just stumbled across. I intend to keep 4 Discus, 2-4 Bolivian Rams, a couple Corys, 4 double red aggies, a small tribe of cardinals, and a heap of foliage starting with: Java moss, java ferns, and other assorted small swords. I Already have a decent ammount of driftwood spread throughout my 29 gal and my 20L I will need to get one huge centerpiece. Included in the deal was an old fluval 203, not very suited for mech. filtration in this idiom, but it will be an excellent vessel for Ketapeat and bio. I plan on using 2 large sponge filters for mech.

Now, my question to you folks: My lfs says that if I go for co2 inj. that I will need at least 4x55w for cf or else my efforts will be in vain. Is this the way to go? I plan on using a substrate heater input on what substrate to use and other plants would be great. I am a newb when it comes to this realm of planted tanks and I don't plan on having this tank operational for a few mos. so any and all input will be greatly appreciated and considered. Right now I have a 29 and a 20 L, both are amazon and lightly planted w/ swords, Java fern, and Java moss. Input from other Amazon enthusiasts is a plus.
Thanks in advance,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
just a couple of quick comments:

the addition of CO2 will typically help any setup, whether under high light or not. I think your LFS has it backwards really, high light really needs CO2, not the other way around. For a 90 gallon tank, 4x55w CF lights isn't really high light either - though I think you will do great with that amount of light and the plants you want.

I don't think substrate heaters are all that great - I've had wonderful growth without them. The swords will wrap their roots around the cables and pull them up if you try to re-aquascape.

My substrate of choice is fluorite, red or brown it doesn't matter (JUST RINSE IT FIRST). People seem to love ecocomplete, but I have never tried it - it does have a nice black color too.

-j

Somebody set us up the tank!
ALL YOUR FISH ARE BELONG TO US...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 06:55 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
As great as a high-light, pressurized co2 Discus tank looks, I'm not sure if I would be apt to try it. If I were you, I would first go with the 4x55 watt PC's and the plants you have listed, and gradually introduce more light and co2 if you eventually decide you want to make that investment.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
As great as a high-light, pressurized co2 Discus tank looks, I'm not sure if I would be apt to try it. If I were you, I would first go with the 4x55 watt PC's and the plants you have listed, and gradually introduce more light and co2 if you eventually decide you want to make that investment.
The big factor I am unclear on is the degree of respiration that occurs in the Amazon plants that I am using. I want my tank to be as natural as possible for my focal species and if CO2 is unneccesary I can use that money to buy gas
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

You might want to look at sn8k's 90 gal Journal:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...8&page=1&pp=15

Similar tank and fish...

Moved to Tucson.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRam
You might want to look at sn8k's 90 gal Journal:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...8&page=1&pp=15

Similar tank and fish...
WOW!!! That is completely over the top! AMAZING!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode