I know i'm asking for trouble but.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know i'm asking for trouble but....

Been having terrible luck creating a large school of cardinals. Bought 15 from lfs, most died, a week later bought 10 from different lfs (they were not eating at the time) and most died. Had five still alive after this.

Bought 30 from Drs. Foster & Smith last week. Shipped overnight from LA to Richmond. Since last thursday have lost 25. Big ich outbreak. Did 2 hour acclimation with lights out, 1/2 cup water added every 5 min for 1 hour, emptied 1/2 water and did it again, finally gently netting out the fish. Been treating ich since Sat.

Tank params are generally ok. Tank is 3 mths old. Still have 10 alive (probably the old 5 plus 5 from this last iched batch). Have not lost any corys, otos, or loaches (have had them all over 2 months).

I swear I don't think I am causing these deaths. I watch everything closely

pH = 6.6
KH = 4-5
PO4 = 2-4
CO2 = 35-40 (off at night with the lights)
NO3 = 10-15
Temp = 78 degrees
Plants pearl at night so O2 is not a problem

So heres the crazy question:

I want to add 4 3-4" discus. (have wanted a planted discus tank for 4 years, just afraid to do it!) I have given up on a school of 35 cardinals. Is it ludicrous to consider the discus. 2 or 3 wc per week is no problem for me.
If I have had so much trouble with cardinals, does it portend bad things happening if I add discus?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Where did you get them from? If they were all from the same place then you might have gotten a bad batch.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 04:17 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I've considered discus for planted aquaria as well, and did a lot of reading. Important parameters for discus survival are GH (low) and Temp (high), neither of which are matched (or unstated. . .). I'm not sure how informed you are in keeping discus, but that would be a necessary first step before dropping lots of $$!

Honestly, I can't think why the cards aren't working out for ya, 'cept to say that i've heard they are very difficult to keep alive, especially in large groups!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 04:28 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Try to see if you can find florida bred jumbo cardinals. They are more expensive but very hardy. I have had the same school for almost a year with only one casualty. I think the wild caught one are the ones with the problems. (Also I bought from a school that had been there for a while.) Once acclimated they are as hardy as guppies.

Heather

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode