Live daphnia? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Live daphnia?

Where can I find live daphnia? There is a place local to me that sells 100 daphnia eggs for $50.00! Not willing to pay that much for EGGS!!! Can I go to a pond and collect them? If so how would I go about doing that? Also would like to find some Hyalella (Scuds) and some Gammarus.

I was thinking about setting up a 20 gallon 'fuge to rear them in that is connected to my main display.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:24 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Just look around for ponds, collection ponds from agricultural runoff, anything not flowing and nutrient rich. Daphnias go through cycles of population growth and reduction/total die-off, so at various times of the year there might be more or less, sometimes small ones, big ones, red ones, gray/green ones, sometimes other crustaceans like Cyclops, sometimes mosquito larvae... it's quite interesting actually.
Basically you take a net, perhaps with an extended handle, move it around in an 8 shaped motion without stirring up mud or falling in. Then you put the harvest into a glass or plastic container.
Be aware that there can be sometimes nasties riding along with the good stuff... so there is some risk that some of us rather avoid. I think my fishies are the happiest when they can hunt some live crustaceans, so...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

That's exactly what I'm doing it for. Seems like fish behave more like....well...fish when they can hunt for their own food. Not to mention it's a cost cutter in the long run... And the nasties I can deal with. Things like dragonfly larvae and water beetles I can sort out....

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

Thumbs up Daphnia Link

http://www.livefoodcultures.com/Daphnia.html

I bought my daphnia starter culture from these guys, very resonably priced. Good overall experience

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode