help! how do u prime a eheim 2028?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
help! how do u prime a eheim 2028??

just bought a eheim 2028~ can somebody tell me how to prime it up??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
push down hard on the big circle-looking-thing on the top of the unit. it does take some pressure, but only takes one full push and then it takes care of the rest of the primeing.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
My eheim must suck, because it takes at least two pushes, sometimes three.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
probably depends on how much water is in the unit to begin with. if you start it off full to begin with, then you should only have to push it once. the more it needs to fill, I can see it being necessary to push more than once.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Make sure that the o-ring is sealing the pump assembly to the cannister body properly. When I first got my 2028 I nearly gave myself a coronary trying to prime it for a good 20 minutes, only to find out that the o-ring wasn't seated properly and I was getting an air leak in the filter. Once I got the o-ring seated properly it primed with one pump of the button.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar
probably depends on how much water is in the unit to begin with. if you start it off full to begin with, then you should only have to push it once. the more it needs to fill, I can see it being necessary to push more than once.
You misunderstand how the unit works.... The primer is able to push about 4 inches of water, that means that it can suck the water up the inlet pipe about 4". So, it is important to have the water in the aquarium up to within 3 or 4" of the top of the tank. If you start trying to prime the unit too soon you are wasting your time. You also have to remember that the unit has water on both ends. If you have the outlet full of water, then it is moving water on that side also, so you are using up some of your 4". Best to prime it when the outlet is still above the water line, and the tanks water level is less than 4" from the top of the aquarium.

Whether the unit is full of water or not is not important, though that will add to the water the primer is trying to push. Best to have the canister empty, that way the first push of the primer pulls water up over the edge of the aquarium (if it is 4" or less) and then gravity takes over to fill the canister and all the lines. If you have water in the canister you may have air trapped in varoius places that may be trying to flow against the water, it just complicates it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

haha , my problem was fixed, i later found out that the pipe was twisted, which was why water was unable to flow into the filter/
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
Make sure that the o-ring is sealing the pump assembly to the cannister body properly. When I first got my 2028 I nearly gave myself a coronary trying to prime it for a good 20 minutes, only to find out that the o-ring wasn't seated properly and I was getting an air leak in the filter. Once I got the o-ring seated properly it primed with one pump of the button.
Is that a triple red cockatoo I see at your name? My LFS wants $24.95 for each of these.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I don't know for certain, but I've been told that it's probably a double red. Unfortunately, he died about a month ago. He was about 3" by then.

I got him as a 1/2" long baby for about $8.

óBill

|
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 02:48 AM

Glad to hear you got it going. Mine was a little hard to prime in the beginning because I have a U/V sterilizer inline on the outlet. I probably also had too much air in the line. So it not only had to push water uphill 3 feet, it also had to wind through the turbo-twist 6x. I think it took about 20-30 pumps... a little bit of work but still better than mouth-power!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
Best to prime it when the outlet is still above the water line, and the tanks water level is less than 4" from the top of the aquarium.
I totally agree and think this piece of the equation is very important. I've found that when priming, if the spray bar is already below the water line, it creates too much back pressure and won't allow the filter to prime. You can either lift the output side above the water line, or prime it before it gets there. Also if you have the charcoal colored intake and spray bar that came with later models, there is a screw on end cap by the output that you can loosen during priming. Remember to tighten it back up, though, when you're ready to turn the filter on

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
I don't know for certain, but I've been told that it's probably a double red. Unfortunately, he died about a month ago. He was about 3" by then.

I got him as a 1/2" long baby for about $8.
There's two really good LFS's near me. The cheaper one had some baby cockatoo's for $7.99 each. That's way cheaper than the other place. I got the last two of them that they had. The lady said that both might be males but they were really too young to tell for sure. As they matured, one grew a pretty yellow crest (dorsal) and the other one didn't. I was lucky and got a pair. I've had some of the $24.95 triple's reds but they weren't hardy like the yellow ones that I have now. I really like these dwarf SA cichlids.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode