Newbie co2 question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Newbie co2 question

Hi All! I've had a 50 gallon cichlid tank for four years now. I have recently given all the fish away to a friend and I have changed the tank to a planted tank complete with substrate and a coralife 130watt tank lite. I also have a eheim 2215. I want to add a co2 system to the tank but am not sure of what brand or system. I would love any feedback on this. in the tank now- crypts, a small sword type of grass not sure what kind, 6 cardinal tetras, 5 white clouds, 2 golden dojos, 2 rams, 1 beta.

Thnkas all I really enjoy reading the posts here, they are very informative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
I don't have this CO2 system but quite a few have been happy with it. It's:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/PR1026.html
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 02:35 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Donnie, welcome to the Planted Tank!

Before you go out and spend $250 to 300 (+$80 for the CO2 tank!), you might want to do some more reading. It's possible to get there spending less money...

The pH controller isn't really a necessity, but more of a luxury. The reactor can be built out of a few plastic connectors and some pipe for ~$10, and you can place it inline on the outflow of your canister filter, works better and out of the tank... not such an eyesore.
There are all-in-one regulators which besides the regulator have a solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter, all for about $80. Besides that you need the CO2 tank, like I said, around $80 depending on where you live.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Right on! thank you. Do you have any sugguestions on reading?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:19 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Yeah I meant reading here on the board, best place to start is probably the equipment section. There are many like you starting to buy and build their CO2 systems, so often the same questions are already asked and answered. The usual brand name wars, my JBL is longer than your Milwaukee, etc, but you get a pretty good idea of what works and what not.
If you want to search for CO2 for example, type CO2* into the search box and you will get a lot of related and perhaps some unrelated results. Happy research!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Thank you very much!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:15 PM

What Wasser said!

The all in one regulator with solenoid for "on-off" with your lights for about $80 is a good thing. A tank of CO2 at about $80 is needed as well. If you are moderately clever you can build your own reactor, and if not, buy one for $50-80 depending on what you get. The Aqua Medic 1000 is nice and works great but probably overpriced for what it is.

The above setup is easy to install, and pretty much install and forget. I mean you have to keep your eye on things but not much to do. A good check valve is also pretty much a must (clippard makes a very nice one for about $14 and can be had from aquabotanic and other vendors as well.

Lastly, you can get all the very detailed info you need here at the planted tank if you want.

Mike
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
Give these sites a try.

CO2 reactor if you are pretty handy to DIY
http://www.hoftiezer.net/personal/aquaria/index.htm
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/pr840.html
Since you are running 2215, you might try to run everything in-line. Welcome to the planted tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode