Non-Aquascaper - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Unhappy Non-Aquascaper

I realized something as I was doing water changes and other routine maintenance this morning.

I am not an aquascaper.

I like too many plants and I don't pay attention to color, shapes, or anything like that.

I see a plant in the store. It goes home with me. It goes in my tank.

So now, the tank doesn't look at all like Amano or Dutch or any other named design. It just has a lot of cool looking plants.

Then the plants grow, I trim them back, and put the clippings in other tanks, so those tanks all look like mish mash too. Yes, sometimes I feel bad that my tanks don't look like everyone else's.

So my point is, I'm looking for some validity to keeping tanks this way.

Is it still right for me to call them Planted Tanks if I don't "aquascape" them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 06:27 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would say that, like most things in life, if it makes you happy and your hurting no one else, then who cares what other people think? I'm sure your tank is pretty to you, and regardless of aquascaping you have created a more optimal environment for your fish by including plants.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
They have plants right? I view it like gardening. Some people like the Marth Stewart type gardens, and others like a more natural and laid back garden. If you like your tanks, it doesn't really matter. The same things apply to your tank as the aquascaped ones - co2, water, light, ferts, ect.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 09:48 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I think I'll have to stick with my standard response to sarab - more pictures are needed!

Seriously, healthy plants in a well maintained tank are intrinsically attractive. You just reap the benefits!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Join the Farmers Club.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 10:51 PM

there is nothing wrong with that.

a nice "scaped" tank isnt an easy task. it takes artistic talent and creativity, not to mention experience with the plants and their growing habits.

most people arent going to have the creative abilities of amano or any artist for that matter. thats why they are "fill in the blank job" and not artists or in creative fields.

when people see a nice car they dont say to themselves, "hey im going to go home and design a porsche!"
Seeing a fresh Amano or aquascape isnt any different.

a wondeful tank is the same way. most people dont have the abilities. im not saying i do, likely far from it. there is probably only a couple people who have any real good design/aquascape talent on the forum, Pjan and Duch are about it.

There are a few others that are decent, but the majority dont measure up to the Duch or Amano styles at all. And so what, growing the plants is fun in its self.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 02:41 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd say you're just in collectoritis phase. Which, of course, may never end ! I keep thinking I'm going to cut down on my number of species and try to do a more natural 'scape. But, then I see a new, interesting plant, and I can't resist. I do tend to consider leaf shape and colors and the like, so I think my tanks come out looking alright. But, I certainly can't throw something together with a vision of what it'll look like in 3-6 months. For me, I gotta try a slew of plants and get through that been-there-done-that phase before I can start focusing in on just the artistic phase of it...assuming I even have the talent for that!

As suggested above, if you're happy with where you are at and you like the look of it, then stay the course. Also as someone suggested, it might be worth capturing some shots just to look back on it at a later time.

I seem to recall several of your tanks looking quite nice. You're not begin too hard on yourself, are you??

Brian.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I think it's quite normal in the evolution of a planted tanker that first, you are amazed you can grow a plant at all, then you enjoy growing all plants you get a hold of, and only much later, you realize that less can be more.

Some of the most jaw-dropping tanks are not of the mixed-jungle type. After looking at other tanks from competitions or in books, you slowly realize that your own tanks make your eyes tired and nervously flickering, and you start to rip out some pink here and some red there and group some dark purple in one spot and without realizing it first, you are past the collectoritis stage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 03:07 AM

Damn I thought I was the only one that had "spastic collectoritis"! Seriously though, it doesn't matter what your tank looks like as long as it pleases you. If it doesn't then rearrange it till it does suit you. Believe me, it's hard to see a plant in an LFS and not wanna take it home.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 11:32 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I am like you sarahbobarah, no matter how hard I try to cut back on varieties and aquascape it ends up being the same plants I enjoy in different spots ! There is nothing wrong with it at all.
The only problem I see that develops from collectoritus is the desire for for a bigger tank because you ran out of acreage for new plant's in the current one !

Plant away and have fun trying new things... its good food for the soul and healthy for the tank.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I am like you sarahbobarah, no matter how hard I try to cut back on varieties and aquascape it ends up being the same plants I enjoy in different spots ! There is nothing wrong with it at all.
The only problem I see that develops from collectoritus is the desire for for a bigger tank because you ran out of acreage for new plant's in the current one !

Plant away and have fun trying new things... its good food for the soul and healthy for the tank.

My sentiments exactly...I went from a 29g anubias tank to 46g bow that I found was a major PITA to try to scape...crammed a ton of different species in there...then upgraded again to a 65g which is working out nicely...my girlfriend thinks the next step is a planted swimming pool.

Re-boot!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Eventually, i am going to post my 30 gallon tanks progression. You can see i went from a gradual build up of plants that slowly get plucked out. Right now i am still fighting the urge to keep a few things.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 10:45 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
My tanks are the same way, a jungle. On dry land I believe you might call it the "cottage garden" look. My flower beds are the same way. I doubt I'll grow out of it. I'm very happy to be able to grow plants in the tank. It's hard to find any plants at the local pet shop. Know I have way too many kinds in there but it's too hard to replace something if I change my mind so I hang on to it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 12:34 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Read the sig.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Collectoritis takes a long time to cure.
After 100-200 plant species, you might kick it, but I'll always have Crypt collectoritus.

I wrote a stages of the aquascaper some years ago, sort of a play on Neil Frank's article on the aquatic gardener..........

You might find it useful:

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00097.html

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode