It wasn't that much yeast! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy It wasn't that much yeast!

Yesterday my sweet, but too curious for my good, rat tipped over the diy CO2 bottles and some of the solution fizzed into the tank. The "waterline" in the bottle was only about 1 cm lower so I just did a 50% WC. Woke up this morning and the tank was still hazy so I did another 50% WC in the morning and by the afternoon the tank was even cloudier than when the yeast first bubbled into it so I did a 90% WC. It's still slightly cloudy. And the filter sponges were so gross and slimey so I changed one out and just rinsed the other. Seesh I didn't think I'd have to change this much water to remove that small of an amount of yeast. Should I do another 90% tomorrow or can I leave it for now? And why does the tank get cloudier even after WC? Does yeast multiply in there?

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
It's not the yeast that causes the problems. It's the sugar. I have had this accident in the past and have found it takes on the order of around 200%-300% water changes to eliminate the problem. Also making sure that you remove the water from the filters and clean the media quite well.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was afraid you were going to say something along those lines. I guess I'll do another 90% WC tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, what would happen if the sugar was left in the tank? Would it cause algae or some problems with the fish?

Yes! I snuggle with rats!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode