Growing swords/ java fern marginally - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Growing swords/ java fern marginally

I have a 55 watt PC over my 15 gallon long, and that is nearly 4 watts per gallon, but the intensity is rather high.

However, this tank is for my firebellied toads, so any aquatic plant would only be partially submerged, the water depth is no higher than three inches at deepest, but slowly slopes so the gravel is just flooded. I probably will not need CO2 like I would if they were fully submerged, but how to I acclimate them so their stems/ leaves do not wilt? I used to grow ludwigia outside in a pond and it would wilt, but it eventually would grow leaves that were suitable above water.

Frogs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Many plants that are used in aquagardends are bog plants, and have both emersed and submersed growth. Many swords (including the common Amazon) can be grown emersed. As for the java, I've only read anecdotes, and there was much disagreement. I, myself, am not aware that javas produce emersed growth. The submersed leaves seem sturdy and rigid, like emersed growth, yet they quickly wilt if they are exposed to air.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 05:01 PM

I am growing java fern emersed quite easily. You must spray plant and make sure it does not dry out.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
fishmasterno,

Do you have that tank sealed up well, with a glass top? As soon as leaves are exposed in my open-air tank, they wilt down to the water line.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have grown them emersed. The only issue is humidity. Seeing as you will have a decent water level, you should be ok...especially since you will likely have teh tank sealed. Periodic misting is always apreciated by the plants but no required.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 06:07 PM

seal the tank tight
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, all the leaves of echinodorus will not need to be kept in very high humidity (slowly lowering it)? I DO notice even with terestrials going from high moisture to low will make them wilt, so perhaps I can lay the sword plant still in its pot on its side to get used to things, then plant in the gravel with only about 2" of its crown exposed?

Those tall swords would be excellent backdrops in my paludarium, didn't want them to burn from the 55 watt PC.

Frogs!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I can tell you from experience that just allowing the ferns to grow out of the water, without anything to help keep the humidity up or the plants moist, and with the ferns near the heat of your lights, they will just wilt and die.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is CO2 really necessary then? (wouldn't think so) What about fertilizers?

Frogs!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode