Fish Matter!--Design Thoughts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fish Matter!--Design Thoughts

I was on another forum the other day and ran across a comment about how important are your fish choices to the overall design. Well I think that's a great question and wanted to see what people here thought. Here is what I'd replied over yonder, just to start the discussion:

As I go along, I've begun to care more and more about just this. I also find I like more subtly colored fish. Right now I'm once again trying to put my 29 gal together after moving several times. I wanted a school of tiny, hardy fish and went back to Emerald Eyed Rasbora after a brief fling with neons. Nowhere near as up-front spectacular until you watch the tank awhile.

To wax poetic, they begin to remind me of watching fireflies on a summer night. Just their eyes make tiny pinpoints of green or blue light. Very interesting to me against the greens of the new plants I'm trying.

I also have a pair of blue rams in the same tank and like the fact they don't often choose to show themselves. To me that adds to the interest that they suddenly appear and surprise you. I heard the Japanese like to make some spectacular part of a garden nearly inaccessible--to be seen only by the persistent observer. That's different than in the west where we usually like to put our best feature in a showcase, but I like the subtlety. So I guess there's a "visibility factor" as well when I chose these fish.

Any thoughts out there???

That's all,

Fig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 07:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, I am certainly no expert on this forum, but I adore the quiet beauty of my little school of Threadfin Rainbows. I also have 3 Sparkling Gouramis that hide among the plants, but when you catch site of them they are stunning. Neons and Cardinals are gorgeous, of course, but I enjoy the subtlety of these other fish so much more.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Algae Grower

I have to agree wholeheartedly with you on the threadfins. I have a small scool of them, really great fish. they are so peaceful together, and the fin flaring behavior is amazing.
-Jack

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
If you water params are up to it, apisto cacatuoides (Cockatoo Cichlid) seems to fit the bill. I have 3 of them...the females has the dullish coloring although I like it, and the male, well have you seen that orange they use to mark pipes in the street (day-glo orange) fins with a grayish/brown body. He hides a lot, and then chases the females for a while, then goes and hides again.

Becoming a fan of these...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Can you tell me what the water parameters would be to support the cockatoo rams? I've lost two batches purchased from aquabid in the same tank which supports my blue rams.

Thanks,
Fig
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
From what I've read, soft water, on the acidic side is what suits them best.

My pH is 6.6-6.8, KH is around 4, GH is around 5. If I could run my CO2 without crashing the pH, I'd have a lower KH. Apparently, they'd like it around 1-2.

When I used to run a KH of a little past 2 (tap without baking soda for me), my pH would drop to <6 very easily.

Some can live in a lot lower pH, I've read down to 4 or 5 but won't venture that low, but if you are interested in spawning them, I read that is one way to get it started.

But, since it is a community tank, and I am not trying to spawn them, they seem to be just dandy...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 02:55 AM

My thoughts? The tank we provide for our fish is their home, and some fish do their own creative scaping. If a fish moves a plant or stone in my tank, I don't move it back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode