flourite or eco-complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
flourite or eco-complete

I am planning a 120 gal planted discus tank...which would make a better substrate, eco-complete (alone) or a 50/50 mix of flourite and 2-3mm gravel..?
thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 02:37 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
IMO, go with the color you prefer . What matches your discus better? Black or reddish brown?
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 02:40 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Since both Eco-Complete and Flourite are pretty much the same when it comes to growing plants, I'd advise you to make your decision on the basis of how you'd like your substrate to look.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I never used Flourite because of just that reason, ashappar. I do not have the patience for dust. How long did that take to settle out, btw? And while I'm asking all the questions, why don't you have a photo journal of this tank ? It looks like it has a story to tell.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have Flourite in a few tanks and don't have that problem. But then again I washed mine before I added it to the tanks.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
There are eight rinsed bags of Flourite in my 75G and I have never experience cloudy water like that either.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 03:48 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
In the process of setting up my 1st 100% flourite tank. Have my hands in it all the time. Planting, replanting, positioning wood and rock. No clouding at all. As the masters told me, tho, I rinsed it well beforehand.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
I agree, if you rinse it you'll never have a problem with clouding.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Eco-complete gets my vote simply from the standpoint that you're gonna be doing A LOT of flourite washing for a 120 gallon tank. Then again, I'm also really lazy.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Planted Member

My understanding is that the main difference between Eco-Complete and Flourite as far as growing plants is concerned is that Eco-Complete slowly dissolves and provides many minerals to the plants, while Flourite is a porous substance which permits it to store nutrients from the water column and make them more readily available to plant roots. It also might release a little iron.

Is this correct?

Bill
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I doubt it. I don't think that Eco-Complete is going to dissolve in my lifetime.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well, thanks all. I decided to go with the look I wanted. Which was actually 1/2 eco and 1/2 red flourite. The contrasting colors look great w/the green and red plants...And I love the look. Had to laugh at Rex's last post..was funny.......
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Planted Member

Yes, Rex's post was funnny, but the fact remains that Eco-Complete does in fact slowly dissolve and thus release - very slowly - the mineral matter that it contains. That is why it may be a good substrate compared to most of the others.

Rex might very well outlive an Eco substrate, but he has a hazardous occupation, so . . .

Bill
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabillpers
Yes, Rex's post was funnny, but the fact remains that Eco-Complete does in fact slowly dissolve and thus release - very slowly - the mineral matter that it contains. That is why it may be a good substrate compared to most of the others.

Rex might very well outlive an Eco substrate, but he has a hazardous occupation, so . . .

Bill

Where's the proof? Have you managed to dissolve any Eco-Complete?

Let's not forget that water is the universal solvent. Given enough time water can dissolve almost anything.

But how slow is very slowly? If I crush a bunch of Eco-Complete to a fine powder then it should dissolve faster.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 01:40 AM

I agree with Rex. I too use both with success. But find Eco - Complete will grow plants and cycle tanks faster. If Eco was dissolving in a tank wouldn't I see it building up in low tech tank when doing water testing? I don't have a build up in my low tech tanks. IF you use Eco in a none or sparsely planted tank wouldn't it be a problem? I also believe that Eco with grow foreground plants better then Flourite.

Hawk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode