My First Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Aquarium

I was at walmart the otherday and I saw the fishes they were selling and I decided to get an aquarium. But I have never owned an aquarium before and I need some help from the experts.

Basically the tank I have in mind is a 20gallon tank and I'm going to be keeping it in my bedroom but I want to have a lof of fish in my aquarium (hoping for around 30 fish). So wondering if this tank is large enough to house all of them or should I move to something big?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 03:43 AM

IMO that is way too many fish for that size aquarium.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
The technical response is that you could do that many fish in a 20gal, but ONLY if you keep up on plenty of high volume water changes. Otherwise the bio-load is going to catch up with you...and more importantly, the fish. The practical answer is that this is too many fish.

What kind of fish are you looking to get?

- Erik

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 04:00 AM

Congrats on entering the hobby. I think you are headed in the right direction by starting out by asking questions! One word of advise I can give is do all of your reasearch before you start and it will be quite rewarding.

With adequate filtration, you should be safe if you stick to the one inch of fish per gallon rule. However this could vary depending on the size and species of fish.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The 1" per gallon rule works quite well with most 1" fish. Beyond that point it's worthless IMHO.

There are very few fish around that you could keep 30 of them in a 20 gallon tank. And even then you would need to do water changes on at least twice a week.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
The 1" per gallon rule works quite well with most 1" fish. Beyond that point it's worthless IMHO.
Agreed, you could get away with 30 neons, otos, whiteclouds, cherry barbs, etc., but 4-5 full-grown angelfish would poison the tank (despite being less than 20 cumulative inches). The inch per gallon rule should be thrown out....completely out, IMO. The proper strategy would be grams/ounces (weight) of fish per gallon. It still wouldn't be foolproof, but it would be a lot better than the inch rule.

You did well to start with questions before you stocked rather than questions about why your fish are dying after...

I realize that your budget might not be too large, but a low-maintenance plant or two in your tank will go a long way towards keeping your fish healthy. Possibly some floating coontail (hornwort) or valisneria?

Also, run a search on the "nitrogen cycle" (ammonia/ammonium, nitrite, nitrate). If you are unfamiliar with this, you'll need to get to know it. Not that you need to understand all the chemistry, just know about the cycle. Without it, almost any fish tank would be doomed, so it will be worth your time.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advise

We already have a 100 gallon tank in our living room with 2 goldfish of about 4 inch long. I want a tank for my bedroom and I thought 20 gallon would be a good size for the room. I want to grow one Betta Splendens, I just love those exotic fins. And after that I want to have as many fish as I can in the tank. So how many fish would the tank be able to support?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson
We already have a 100 gallon tank in our living room with 2 goldfish of about 4 inch long. I want a tank for my bedroom and I thought 20 gallon would be a good size for the room. I want to grow one Betta Splendens, I just love those exotic fins. And after that I want to have as many fish as I can in the tank. So how many fish would the tank be able to support?

Easy answer. One.

Hard answer. What kind of fish? And how many of them?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

thankz Rex

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode