HELP we have got a problem! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
HELP we have got a problem!

So i did a total rearrange of my aquarium last night and setup a new aquascape, as well as a 50 percent water change and i changed the diy c02 and also added my ferts. This morning i woke up and all the fish were floating! Even the SNAILS! What the heck went wrong? I know it wasnt chlorine or chloramines because i added the stuff to remove them, and i did a nitrite test and my nitrites were through the roof. I did a 25% water change and i hooked up air pumps and ran the bubble tubes and it seems to be helping considerably, but im just curious at what did this in the first place? Ammonia spike? And when can i expect it to dissipate? Thanks...
Sincerely,
Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Oh no...sorry to hear about that!! Did you test your tap water for nitrites too? I'm wondering if there has been anything the city or county did to the municipal water source. Test that tap water before you do the water changes.

Re-boot!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:32 PM

Possibly when you rescaped, if you took out a lot of plants, rocks, driftwood etc... you might have gotten rid of a lot of the places your bacteria was living, This recently happened to me, but i just had a small spike, nothing catastrophic...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Yea that could have been a possibility, i took out most of the plants when i rescaped, and i also added a new piece of driftwood, im just gonna let the air bubbles run for about 5 hours and then see if it helps any.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 04:46 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
You may have released some anaerobic bacteria when you disturbed the aquascape too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode