150 Gallon Planted Tank!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
150 Gallon Planted Tank!!!

Greetings!

I have been observing this forum/site for some time.... and now I have the chance to join in

My wife has given me a 150 gal aquarium w/ stand and filter as a birthday present! WooHoo!

So now "the project" begins.... along w/ many questions. So ANY and ALL HELP is welcomed!

1. I have ordered 3, 110w power compact lights (two retro kits, one complete). Then I plan on adding 2, 65W single bulb lights to help cover the tank... total = 460 watts from 6- 55w bulbs & 2- 65w bulbs. They'll be a mix of 6700k and 10,000k. HOWS THAT SOUND?

2. I already have a nice "little" 30gal planted tank w/ diy co2. It works well when I keep up w/ it. But I plan to add a 10lb co2 tank to supply the 150 gal. Will that be enough?? Does anyone know how long a 10lb co2 tank lasts? (say for an average to heavily planted tank?)

3. My plan for the layout is to have Riccia and Glossostigma planted like a field/hill side effect on the right side... then slope it into the JUNGLE on the left side - lots o' plants: java ferns, crypts, swords, vals/sag, Bacopa, Rotalas, cabamba and some others I forget.
The question is... which side will require more light??? Riccia / Glosso ground cover (tank is 24 in deep) or thick Takashi Amano style jungle

I have some other questions/thoughts but thats a good start

Thoughts / ideas / suggestions??

Much Thanks!!!

RDemmin

ps - I'll post pics when its done (after I take out the second mortgage on my house to pay for everything ) ha

30 gal planted tank, 110w pc hood, diy co2, Flouish and iron tabs, gravel sub. Flora: too many to mention haha. zoo life: 20+ Amano shrimp (I LOVE those guys!), 7 Dwarf neon rainbowfish, 1 large silver angel - waiting for a new home

20 gal planted tank, 60w NO lights, no co2-yet, Flourite/gravel sub, flouish fert. Flora: wisteria, cabamba, dwarf sag. Fauna: 2 large silver angels -waiting for new home, soon...baby Amano shrimp! hey, ya never know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdemmin

My wife has given me a 150 gal aquarium w/ stand and filter as a birthday present! WooHoo!

Does she have any sisters?????

Shoot I am allready married
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyfunk
Does she have any sisters?????

Shoot I am allready married
I'm Not...Hmm...Is getting married worth a 150 gallon tank?

Quote:
Greetings!

I have been observing this forum/site for some time.... and now I have the chance to join in
30 gal planted tank, 110w pc hood, diy co2, Flouish and iron tabs, gravel sub. Flora: too many to mention haha. zoo life: 20+ Amano shrimp (I LOVE those guys!), 7 Dwarf neon rainbowfish, 1 large silver angel - waiting for a new home

20 gal planted tank, 60w NO lights, no co2-yet, Flourite/gravel sub, flouish fert. Flora: wisteria, cabamba, dwarf sag. Fauna: 2 large silver angels -waiting for new home, soon...baby Amano shrimp! hey, ya never know!
WOW! With those two tanks, why haven't you been posting pictures months ago?

Quote:
1. I have ordered 3, 110w power compact lights (two retro kits, one complete). Then I plan on adding 2, 65W single bulb lights to help cover the tank... total = 460 watts from 6- 55w bulbs & 2- 65w bulbs. They'll be a mix of 6700k and 10,000k. HOWS THAT SOUND?
[/COLOR]
Sounds Great!! You should be able to grow most if not all types of plants

Quote:
2. I already have a nice "little" 30gal planted tank w/ diy co2. It works well when I keep up w/ it. But I plan to add a 10lb co2 tank to supply the 150 gal. Will that be enough?? Does anyone know how long a 10lb co2 tank lasts? (say for an average to heavily planted tank?)
[/COLOR]
From what I have read, a 5 lbs tank lasts about 6 months in a 75g. I don't know if that means a 10 Lbs tank would last 6 months in a 150, but it sounds right to me. I would guess though that it would last longer, ecomonies of scale and all.

Sorry, but for the aquascape/lighting questions I will let someone with more experience answer, which is just about everyone here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Safado!! (and lumpy... yes, 2 sisters-both married

Anyway, Safado..... I'm just now getting a green enough thumb to feel like I should be posting. In my humble opinion there's a lot of people posting on threads that probably should just keep on reading

Yeah, Im going to try the 10 lb co2 tank and see how long it lasts. I read somewhere that liquer stores sell co2 tanks for kegs...hmmm. I dont know anything about co2 canisters - I wonder if they are the same type? Has anyone gone this route?

As soon as I figure out my wifes digital camera, I'll try to get some pics.

Thanks!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 05:22 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
I was in search of CO2 tanks, 2 of them. Found out there is 2 ways to go
1. Lease a cylinder
2. Buy a cylinder

1. I found out most welding supply companies do not want to lease anything smaller that a 20lb cylinder. They want you to buy one and change it out. So you buy a new cylinder, give it to them, and they give you back a crappy one. Also you are dealing with steel cylinders. Another consideration is that cylinders need hydrostatically tested every 5 years. The company you lease the tank from will absorb that cost and you do not need to worry about that.

2. I decided to buy my own cylinders for the following reasons:
a. I would have aluminum cylinders.
b. I can get my cylinders filled on site so I keep mine.
c. I was able to buy 2 5 lb aluminum cylinders for less than what it would cost me to lease 1 10lb cylinder for 1 year.

Get out the yellow pages and call welding supply and oxygen supply companies in your area. Ask them:

1. How much to lease a 5 or 10 lb cylinder?
2. Are they steel or aluminum?
3. How much to fill?
4. Can you fill a tank while I wait?

Make sure you are getting food/beverage grade CO2. Depending on the lease deal you can get decide on buy/lease. I purchased 4, 5lb aluminum cylinders for $288.76 delivered @ http://www.aquatic-store.com/ . Good luck!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Also if you purchase a cylinder make sure that you can get the cylinder filled while you wait and it's not a swap. Also check fire extinguisher stores and home brew beer stores for cylinders.

And check on the price of refills. Many times it's almost the same cost to fill a 5 lb as it is a 10 lb.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
If your looking to buy a new cylinder and can get it filled while you wait this is the best place I've found to get them. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...anks/co2.shtml

They are nice looking (if thats a concern) and they don't gouge you on shipping so it was actually cheaper for me to get an aluminum tank shipped to me and filled at my local welding supply than to buy a filled steel one from them.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Hey Thanks! ...And what about ballasts?? :)

Thanks for the great info DiabloCanine, Rex Grigg and briandmiles!
Who would have thought that this little hobby would push me into the fields of botany, zoology, physics, electrical engineering, and now chemistry!!!
And my dad thought my Anthropology degree wouldn't pay off! ha!
Ok, so now my budget has been stretched past the breaking points I am in major need of diy lighting...... here are a few Q's for all you electricians

1. I've read that 55w pc are actually the same bulb as 65w pc (I talked to a csr at "hellolights.com" who said this was true)... AND it is actually the ballast that DRIVES the light to determine the output. Has anyone verified this? If this is the case...then we all can save some dough and just buy 55w pc's!

2. I've also read (maybe on this forum? - sorry cant find my "favorite" for the link) that any electronic ballast designed to work for NO fluorescent bulbs can be used for Compact bulbs! ie A ballast that will run 2 x 32w t8's would easily power a 55w/65w bulb. If this is true than we're talking major savings with the less expensive ballasts.

I've thought about just giving it a try... but I have this funny aversion to electrocution, explosions and pain

Anyone experimented w/ this ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 04:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't know much about lighting, but all I did was buy the kits from AhSupply. Really cheap, and really easy to set up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I 2nd Safado's comments....you have two, fully planted tanks, up and running, and only now do you feel the need to reveal yourself. Who are you, Senator Palpatine? Get with the pics of those tanks !

RE: CO2 tanks. A 10lb tank, running @ 1 bps should last you a year. My guess is you'll need to run 2-3 bps with a tank that large. Many factors, obviously.

In my parts, you buy your own CO2 tanks (welding supply) for around 50 bones. Sharpie your name and phone # on it, and get it refilled (takes one night for the cheap price $6 or much more $16 to have it filled why you wait). The $10 extra is hardly worth it. A tank can survive just fine without CO2 for a day. Still, since there is a market for the impatient, capitalism dictates that they must be marketed .

Now, get on over to the photo album section and show us those tanks.

Oh yeah....and welcome to the forum .

Ted

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

OK Ted!

Ok, ok. My sons 1st B-day is today, after that I'll figure out how to work wife's digital camera and then learn how to post the pictures (never done it before). And thanks for the welcome!

Sen. Palpatine?! (*slow, heavy mechanical breathing* "yes, my master" )

BACK TO THE TANK !

Can anyone shed some light (bad pun) on the compact fluorescent light bulb/ ballast questions?? I know there has to be some electrical engineers/ electronic technicians/ or GE/Fulham employees just bursting w/ knowedge to share?!

Thanks again for the info!

"Knowledge is Power!" - Super Friends cartoon (mid 80's)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Just my opinion but I use Icecap ballasts and Aquasun bulbs. Initial investment is more but you will make up for it in bulb costs and the electric bill over time. I used PCs at first but drove me nuts managing the heat they put out (I have canopies over all my tanks). Might be less heat issues if you use an external ballast for PC bulbs. My setup now requires no fans and puts out over double the wattage. Look at the retrofit Icecap kits Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics sell for more info.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode