Another DIY tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another DIY tank

I just read scolley's DIY project and could not resist the temptation to post some links to my tank.
http://users.forthnet.gr/pat/ekfrasis/aquarium.jpg
All is DIY apart from the the lifequard filters the heater container the controller and the pump. It is a 108 gal tank 150X55X60H, runing for a 17 months. The biofilter is a piece of old pipe I found and after taking it to a machinist made to an openable filter with bioballs, all the filter parts are modular and can be seperated for maintenance one at a time by closing valves and seperating, all wiring including dosing pump pipes runs throu plastic wire casing (I dont know how it is called but is sold to run networks and cabling in electrical instalations) along the top of the base compartment, water changes are just a singe valve action for both in (2 valves tap and RO from a barel outside) and out to waste water house pluming, there is a 2500 lt pump running the system and two 50 micron mechanical filters for mechanical cleaning, 4 dosing pumps each with a 2 lt container run the ferts which are dosed seperate in 0.5 ppm/min increments http://users.forthnet.gr/pat/ekfrasis/P9010007a.jpg , there is a heating cable that runs from a timer http://users.forthnet.gr/pat/ekfrasis/heating.jpg , 3 MH 150w 4.200K each runs for 10 hours from the tranformers in the wooden box on the base, an alarm is installed to warn me of water overflows (god knows how many times I forgot to turn the in valve off before the alarm installation), CO2 is run through a pinpoint controller to the casing of the bubble counter, needle valve, solenoid valve, the solenoid can be controlled either manually or by the controler with a flick of the switch (this were not on the original photo of the tank http://users.forthnet.gr/pat/ekfrasis/controller.jpg . I have the materials to add auto wc and I will do in september having all the schematics ready. This tank is virtually maintenance free apart of wc at the moment, some experiments I do with fert dosing and of course pruning. Until now I have not been bothering with aquascape just to get ALL the different plants to grow and clean all algae issues, thanks to a combination of my observations lots of wc, twice weekly and Tom Barr's EI I am algae free for months now and ready to play. Here is a link of some current photos:
http://users.forthnet.gr/pat/ekfrasi...1-08-2005.html and many more at various stages with or without algae here: http://users.forthnet.gr/pat/ekfrasis/

Nice to meet you people
Freemann

Last edited by freemann; 08-24-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
Smile

First of all, I commend you on your impressive effort on making this high-tech sophisticated tank. It must took a lot of your time and not to mention dollar. I am a bit puzzle by just at what ball park figure this whole thing cost you. As far as you said algae free, what do you think those green spots on Anubus are? Nice to meet you through this forum too.Regards,
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Well I did not hide the greenspots did I? Still it is algae free but the greenspots. 4.1w/gal MH is a wild animal . It was the DIY part I was talking and this part is a beauty the rest will come. And well I got the things over the years, and doing it on my own did not cost me that much on the long run maybe 2000$.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
I like to think we are in this hobby to share a point or two. Very impressive effort indeed. I think perhaps you can begin to think more in terms of focal point. I am certain you have heard of Takashi Amano. Well, may be you do not want to lean that way but he does have a few good point. When we are talking aquascaping, one needs to find what is pleasing to our eyes. In simple term, there has to be a point in the tank that just say WOW!. I think that is where we will continue to fine tune our skills.However, I think you did an awesome job of putting these together and should be given the recognition for it. Job well done and perhaps you will continue to mentor those who need a helping hand from time to time. Regards,
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Well to be sincere with you I don't care at all on aquascaping, at the moment I just want to learn to grow the widest range of plants properly on a repeatable basis, lets say plant placement takes priority in relation to light and not aesthetics. I could have a really fancy aquascape with a few plants that even now grow like crazy but my priority is to get townoi really healty or lobelia dwarf to start moving or stellatas and aromaticas to have a steady growth. Aquascaping is for the others, steady healthy growth, knowledge of the processes is for me the focal point it is a matter of percpective. Of course I know Amano and really virtually everything around the net concerning aquascaping. I still think that the weight in aquascaping really takes people away from the focal point which is growing healthy plants, then aquascaping is easy either by imitating and combining layouts or by planing and buying expensive woods and stones.
Regards
Freemann
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 12:04 PM

Very impressive setup, Freemann. I'm in awe!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks awrieger
Please feel free to ask any questions I have detailed schematics for most of the layout aswell which even here in vacation I think I can dig out. There are more to this tank aswell, lets say the stainless stell metal tray under the filters slopes to the back right corner where a pvc pipe takes all water droped from manipulation of the filters to the waste water throu a single way valve very practical believe me, or the fact that water flows back into aquarium both directly from the mechanical filters and throu the biological filter this way you can mnimise the flow to the biological and thus get good colonization. By the way I spend more than a year slowly setting this tank up and thinking of all the details, and I still do add stuff slowly. I really want to automate it all eventualy as I said.
Here is some additional old links on this tank(some links are broken in that thread I will try to update them tonight if I can get this bloody usb hd to work othrwise when I am homebased again which is next week):
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...0609#post10609
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ead.php?t=5919
Regards
Freemann

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode