Please help ASAP, did something stupid! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
k8y

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please help ASAP, did something stupid!

Ok i did something really stupid last night...bought some rummynose tetras and stuck them in my 55 planted amazon tank. there were some clown loaches in the quarentine tank... ok really dumd mistake i know and i am kicking myself for it! one has already died- they have white patches on their bodys and my gold tetras and getting them. what meds can i put in the tank to treat it? someone suggested maroxy and marycyn 2 or maricide? will it kill my plants? at this point id rather take my plants out and put them into one of my other tanks than try and catch all of my zillion tetras. the worst part is that i am leaving for vacation at 3pm! i have someone taking care of the fish 2x daily but they will only be able to follow my detailed instructions...and i am not sure what to do! please advise! thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:31 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Not good at diagnosing fish, but maracin won't hurt your plants. I used maracin for BG algae. I'd assume (but do not know) that the others are different product names for similar antibiotics.
The white spots sound to me like ich. Good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
If it's ich, can you get your temperatures stable around 86?

- Erik

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Sorry to hear about the mess. Sometimes disasters can't be avoided

As far as meds: if the white spots are ick...then I would take the plants out if you can, crank up the heat and add some meds. Personally I've had better success with the temps closer to 90 than mid 80s. It just speeds up their life cycle faster.

If the white is a fungus, then maracyn 1 and 2 will be fine and no affect on plants.

How long are you going to be on vacation for?

Re-boot!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
k8y

PTrader: (0/0%)
thank you guys for the advice, i got maroxy and marycyn and i am using them both. The white spots are def not ich, they are sort of white discolored splotches on their bodies. I will be back Saturday night and I am hoping for the best. My temp stays at 82, if that matters. The rummynose have bright red noses and are very active and eating other than the splotches. I'll let you know then! Thanks again for your help!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode