a planted tank in a nightclub!?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
a planted tank in a nightclub!??

hi guys
as I am now full on OCD with planted tanks, I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate it in to my work. my job consists of doing a lot different design work, but primarily designing nightclubs. Basically I have a job coming up, and I don't know what would be cooler in a nightclub, than a huge planted tank (Amano Style). I big part of nightclub design is making a space that is both dramatic and overwhelming while still relaxing... um... can you say planted tank! I know this poses a lot of problems. 1. the place would be extremely loud and chaotic, spooking the heck out of the fish. 2. if things in the tank go south (algae bloom) Im screwed. I've been thinking this out and have come up with a few solutions. as far as the fish being freaked, I figure first of I would choose fish that like to party (jkin, but hardy, less spookable fish) I suppose discus are out of the question, but maybe they could get used to it. the tank would also be placed in an area where drunk people will be able to see but not touch. As for algae explosions, I would simply wrap the tank in paper with crazy graphics and make it a huge light box for a while. this would also work for the tank revamps, transitions, etc. although I am going to be a partner in the Bar so I will be around quite a bit and have time to maintain the tank, I am figuring I will also hire a professional to consult, and maintain. I've made some calls to a few fish people in the area, and they all seem to be experts in salt water tanks, but kind of fudge on the answers when I start asking about planted tanks.
so... what do you guys think... could I make it happen?... should I make it happen? Ive got someone what of a good budget for this, so I could purchase the correct hardware to do it right. I figure I would put a ton of screw in compacts above the tank in hanging canisters. the tank would be open top, with something like 96"x36" foot print (steel framed). not sure on how hight yet maybe something like 48". I'll knock of this long winded post right now until I hear some of your guys thoughts, but I have been thinking long and hard about this, so let me know what kind of problems I would run in to.
also, this is still several months down the road, but if there are any fish gurus in the tri-state area interested in helping... free beer.
thanks
Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hope you have your wet suit and snorkel handy. A 36" wide tank is going to require that you get very wet to maintain it. And if it is 48" deep there is no way that your ghetto (spiral compact bulbs) will have any effect on it at all.

I would suggest that you really sit down and think about how much work you want. I would suggest a tank no larger than 210 gallon tank. That way you have a standard tank size 72X24X29. Also you need to figure that a 210 gallon tank is going to weigh in the range of just over a ton. The tank you are talking about is a monster. Around 720 gallons. That's close to four tons of weight you need to support.

Assuming that you get back in touch with reality (not that it's bad to dream) and go with a more moderate size like a 210 gallon tank you are going to need a really good budget.

I will work up some numbers for you in my next post.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

but reality is no fun

yes Rex I understand this is a serious SERIOUS project. but I have seen something like it in a club that was open here a few years back. the tank was much bigger actually, they had transvestites swiming in the tank (and regular chicks too, but the tranies were freaky).
as for budget, Im thinking I could spend about $5 - 6,000.00 on it. maybe this is still not enough.
as for the wheight issue the tank may or may not go in the basement, which sits on bedrock (we think) or if not we could support the floor above with steel. the bar areas are going to be on top of each other anyway, so we are going to be doing some serious plumbing, renov. there anyway. the stand would be built with a whole lot of steel too (maybe 4" mini I beams).
lighting, well I need to figure that out I guess, filtration too.
so there is obviously a lot I need to work out, thats why Im starting on this dream early.
yes its a monster of a tank, but one thing Ive learned in my 10 years of building nightclubs is, start with the biggest craziest Ideas you can, and then cut back from there. besides, its partly my club, so I can do whatever I want
hey ya never know, dream a lil dream
Jack

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have seen a 40 gallon in a coffee shop wall but that isn't anywhere as big as what you are planning.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Ok, above and beyond the price of the tank and stand. I see at least $1800 in hardware and substrate costs alone.

2 each Ocean Clear #340 filters at $160 per.
2 each Iwaki WMD30RLT pumps at $130 per.
3 each 175 watt MH Pendants at $199 per.
3 each bulbs at $60 per.
Heating done right about $110
15 bags of Eco-Complete @ $20 a bag $300

Note you don't have the tank or stand yet. If the stand is not going to be visible then you can have a stand built. I would not suggest trying to build it yourself unless you can visualize 200 gallons of water on the floor. You will also need to build the plumbing for the tank.

I would suggest easy plants like swords and Anubias and Java Fern. Otherwise you will be spending several hours a week in water up to your shoulders doing pruning and planting.

A planted tank done right will run you at least $10 a gallon and more likely in the range of $20 a gallon and up when you total all the costs. I can easily see a 210 gallon tank coming in around $3500-$4000 when it is up and running.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:19 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thats a great idea...
To install a tank in a nightclub would be a breeze, a good finish carpenter could with plans could do that job in a week but its the long haul maintenance of the tank that would be the issue. Make sure they are aware of what is involved before incorporating it in your designs. They would have to hire someone and that aint cheap on a planted tank that is always changing.

Do one in your house instead
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

excellent info, thank you rex

dude, rex, you rule!
the $10-20 per gallon equation helps big time. we are just working out the budget now, so I need to get that worked out as far as cost vs. size is concerned. that was a big help. I myself will not be building the stand, we have a metal worker for that, and he's pretty cheap, but not that cheap, Im thinking $600 for the stand. some of this cost will be absorbed by the actual building of the bar, as I think the tank should go in the middle of an island bar (so no one can mess with it). also good call on the eco-complete, I would love the black subs. for the sexy look it gives. however, do you think I could get away with using a mixture of eco. and some gravel/sand I pull out of a pond? my mother has quite a large beaver pond on her property in N.H. and I was thinking I could harvest somethings out of there. especially hardscape, the beavers have been dragging all kinds of things in there for years. def. going to have some kick ass swords in there, and other non stems too (java fern out the wazoo). what are some other plants that get big big? giant anubias?.... whatever this is all for later, right now cost is key. so lets say that I cut the tank down to something like 320/350 gallons, how does that change the ammount of filtration I need to purchase? my guess is that it cut it down to about half of what you listed above, but maybe not. the lighting cost and install seems fine, how about the electric bill? also CO2, pressurized obviously. OMG maybe I could attach it to the C02 for the beer taps, wow, thats an interesting thought! also speaking of beer, I will be sitting around a lot during the day waiting for the beer/liq delivery guys, so I will have time for primping and pruning, maybe some stem plants are in order. also, what can you tell me about custom built tanks, I have the metal guy, I have the glass guy, what should I know?

thanks for your help, give me a few months, and if you come to NYC, I got a cold beer (and hopefully a huge tank) for you.

Jack
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:08 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daykinmade
yes Rex I understand this is a serious SERIOUS project. but I have seen something like it in a club that was open here a few years back. the tank was much bigger actually, they had transvestites swiming in the tank (and regular chicks too, but the tranies were freaky).
as for budget, Im thinking I could spend about $5 - 6,000.00 on it. maybe this is still not enough.
as for the wheight issue the tank may or may not go in the basement, which sits on bedrock (we think) or if not we could support the floor above with steel. the bar areas are going to be on top of each other anyway, so we are going to be doing some serious plumbing, renov. there anyway. the stand would be built with a whole lot of steel too (maybe 4" mini I beams).
lighting, well I need to figure that out I guess, filtration too.
so there is obviously a lot I need to work out, thats why Im starting on this dream early.
yes its a monster of a tank, but one thing Ive learned in my 10 years of building nightclubs is, start with the biggest craziest Ideas you can, and then cut back from there. besides, its partly my club, so I can do whatever I want
hey ya never know, dream a lil dream
Jack
Jack,

Are you thinking of building a swiming pool for people that don't know what they are or a planted tank for fish???

REX is right get back to reality dude or is it dudette or dudeit?!!!

There is a restruant in my area, which was at one time, a very highly rated Tahitian Styled Resturant, that had a 200+ gal in the entrance. But all the booths, at least 25, had several smaller tanks in them. and in the large dining rooms, if I remember 2 rooms, with several 40 to 60 gals. In all I would estimate 100+ tanks all filled with fish and many plants for the ones that had fish that would not eat them. When I say several tanks, all the wall space in the booths and dining rooms were covered with tanks.

I liked to go there for the tanks!!! The food well like I said it was at one time highly rated, but not bad. BTW I don't remember fish being on the menu, just chicken,BBQ ribs and pork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

there will be no people swimming in this,

Jack
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:22 AM

Oh Jack ...that changes everything if you get to care for it ! That ROCKS MAN ! Are you the owner of this nightclub or a manager or something ?? This has huge potential... nothing attracts people more then an attraction... LOL

Hope you can work it out Jack...that would be a great project to do.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

There's a ginormous one in a club in downtown Seattle that I visited earlier in the year. Unbelievably big for a planted tank. I can't imagine the amount of CO2 they go through.

John P.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ya buck, Im one of the main partners in the place, so basically Ill be there ALL the time. I think if I pull this off, it could be a really interesting project, and could be really fun. however it could turn in to a really big pain in my @s$. I've had fish tanks all my life, but a few monthes ago I descovered Amano. since them, its planted and thats it. I figured, what a great match. planted tanks really make people relax, and thats what Im trying to create with the atmosphere, so... why not. now lets see if I can actually make this happen.

Jack

p.s what do you think about the idea of hooking the tanks CO2 in to the CO2 tanks for the beer taps, I have to admit, again a great match
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:35 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I think it's an awesome idea. You're gonna wanna go for low maintenance slow growers, or at least lower light so you don't spend every daytime hour fussing with the tank. Putting it behind the bar for everyone to see, is the best spot I can think of. Maybe you could have a custom tank the entire length of the bar instead of a boring mirror. Or

If your gonna have an island bar put it right in the center to have a 360 degree view. That means that you'd have to hide the inlets and outlets and have them come up from the bottom like Scolleys tank.

Marcel
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you move on this, Jack. I DEMAND A PHOTO JOURNAL!!! .

Best of luck to ya.

Ted

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Tripple Door under Wild Ginger. 1900 gal 8X 400 Metal Halide (?) and one big tank of CO2 (they just pull one off the soda fountain and use a ~4" reactor at like 2 bps!) Tank is tied into the earthquake structure so if he did it for $20 per gal he got off easy. Owner is the nicest guy who was mildly amused in how much we wanted to see the plumbing and lights. Ever see a full size sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
There's a ginormous one in a club in downtown Seattle that I visited earlier in the year. Unbelievably big for a planted tank. I can't imagine the amount of CO2 they go through.

Moved to Tucson.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode