Has anyone ever had problems with water mites? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (5/100%)
Has anyone ever had problems with water mites?

With all the plants I have got recently, I all of a sudden have thousands of, what looks like mites. Does anyone have any ideas on getting rid of them.
Thanks for help.
Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It could be fish lice, but you'd have to give a better description to be sure. In that case, the only way I've read to kill them is medication. Just be sure that it is, and also that the medication you get won't harm the biological filter and invertebrats (if you have any).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

I only have plants in it. They are very small. I would say around 1/32" or smaller. They are light colored, almost white. There is so many the driftwood is completely covered.

Glenn

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
They are water aphids, if they are sitting on leaves that are floating. They can not live under water. They can hop around. If you scrape them off the leaves, they will float until they bump into a leaf to climb on. Many small fish will eat them if they are floating. Larger fish can not see them. If they are under water it is a type of Amphipod, which is a crusteacean, (realted to shrimp) If it is worm like it is an aquatic flatworm or planaria, if it has legs it could be insect larvae.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Robert. Here is what I found, doing a search on Amphipods. Below is a link to what they look like. This morning all my rocks and driftwood is covered with them. The whole bottom of the tank is just swarming with them.I see some that are close to 1/8".

http://www.nature.ca/rideau/b/b5c-e.html

Glenn
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:49 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
fascinating....

Amphipods

Hyalella azteca.
Class: Crustacea - Crustaceans
Order: Amphipoda - Amphipods
Family: Hyalellidae - Hyalellids

Species found in the Rideau River:
Hyalella azteca

Characteristics of the family:
Members of the Hyalellidae family are small amphipods with relatively short antennas and large eyes. The last segment of the abdomen is entire, which means it is not split or cleft. Most live in marine environments but some of the members live only in freshwater.

Representative species: Hyalella azteca
Description Small bodied, commonly with 2 to 3 teeth (like on a saw rather than in a mouth) on the back at the hind end of the body. Colour is variable with white, green and brown being common, but they can be reddish, bluish or purple. The 2nd leg of the male is much larger and broader than that of the female.
Size 3 to 8 mm (Males are larger than females).
Distribution Found in permanent freshwaters of North and Central America, north to the treeline. Common in the Rideau River.
Habitat Among vegetation in lakes or rivers.
Food Mostly filamentous algae and diatoms, but may eat decaying organic material as well.
Life cycle For up to a week before mating, males carry females by grasping the 2nd segment of the female's body. This is known as precopula. In this way, males assure themselves a female to mate with when she moults and the eggs are laid. The female has large plates on the underneath of her body in which she keeps the eggs. When the young hatch they look like tiny adults. Breeding takes place when water temperatures reach 10C (about April to October near the Rideau River), with many broods per year.
Interesting facts These amphipods are quite common along the shoreline, but because of their small size they are not usually noticed. They are good swimmers and dart about in the algae.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I think that's what I have too, but they don't really bother me. Don't bother the fish, plants or shrimp so they're just part of the ecosystem now

Re-boot!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
If they are that small i bet a bamboo shrimp would easily filter them as food.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode