CO2 - Please post your specs. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 - Please post your specs.

I'm interested in finding out various experiences with bubble rates and tank specs.

Please include -

Bubble rate (per second or minute)
Diffusion method
Tank size
Lighting level and type
Planting type (i.e. 50% fast growing stem plants)
CO2 level

I'll start with my tank -

Tank size - 34 Gallon
Bubble rate - 45 per minute
Diffusion method - CO2 output directly into external filter inlet
Lighting - 2 WPG, HO T8
Planting - 50% medium growth (Sag), 50% slow (Java fern, Crinum)
CO2 level - 30ppm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Bubble rate (per second or minute)
Diffusion method
Tank size
Lighting level and type
Planting type (i.e. 50% fast growing stem plants)
CO2 level
3bps (180bpm)
Reactor attached to Eheim filter
110g Paludarium - ~40g of estimated water - open top
5.2wpg PC (4x65w)
Java Fern, Tiger Lotus, Jungle and Corkscrew Val, Water Sprite (floating)
50ppm co2

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Tank size - 65 gallon
Bubble rate - 3-4 bubbles per second
Diffusion method - 2 in diameter external reactor on Eheim 2224
Lighting - 2.95 wpg (2 X 96w pc)
Planting - 50% medium growth (Sag, hairgrass, E. trianda, Tiger lotus, Ozelot sword), 50% fast (stargrass, P. stellata broad and narrow, L. aromatica, watersprite)
CO2 level - about 45-50 ppm

Re-boot!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tank size - 20 Gallon
Bubble rate - 2 bubbles/3 seconds
Diffusion method - Ceramic Diffusor
Lighting - 5.4 WPG Power Compact
Planting - Ludwigia palustris, Riccia fluitans, Microsorum pteropus, Echinodorus tenellus, Saggitaria sp., Marsilea quadrifolia, Vesicularia sp., Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia, and C. spiralis
CO2 level - Not sure, FloraBase throws off pH readings.

Other tanks I've had:

Tank size - 90g
Bubble rate - 2 bubbles/second
Diffusion method
- DIY in-line reactor
Lighting - 3.4 WPG Power Compact
Planting - 90% fast growing stemplants, Glossostigma elatinoides, Echinodorus bleheri, and Cryptocoryne wendtii "Tropica"
CO2 level - 24ppm

Tank size - 5.5 Gallon
Bubble rate - Depended on generator
Diffusion method - Wooden airstone in filter
Lighting - 4.8 WPG, 2x 13w PC
Planting - Stemplants, Eliocharis acicularis, Glossostigma elatinoides, Cryptocoryne wendtii "Red"
CO2 level - 18ppm
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Tank size: 55 gallon
Lighting level and type: 160 wpg / NO FL
Planting type: Glosso, Wisteria, Dwarf Lily, Riccia, Sag, Penywort
Diffusion method: Reactor 1000 powered by Eheim 2026, solenoid closed at night.
Bubble rate: 1 every 1.5 seconds
CO2 level: 37-40ppm at middle of lighting period.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias
Tank size: 55 gallon
Bubble rate: 1 every 1.5 seconds
CO2 level: 37-40ppm at middle of lighting period.
That's awesome diffusion efficiency. You have the same bubble rate as me in a larger tank giving higher CO2 levels AND with higher CO2 demanding plants.

I need obviously need a decent reactor!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My measured rates of course depend on the accuracy of my ph and alkalinity testing kits and my eye's ability to discern the minute differences between shades of yellow-green and blue-green, as well as my personal judgement of when blue becomes yellow enough to be considered "lime". We are still so archaic.

You know how it is. I'd look for readings from someone else using an inline reactor 1000 to see if I'm BSing before I started making moves to a different diffusion method. I'd actually like to see some readings from other users of this reactor myself. But, yeah, after going through several different sources and methods of diffusion, I'm very impressed with the quality of my pressurized source and my reactor 1000 method of diffusion.

We're all probably only accurate within, what, +/- 10-25ppm? We have judgement calls on ph readings and my alkalinity kit only gives results rounded to the nearest 10 ppm. You and I could actually be dead even.

When I stopped running Co2 24/7 and switched to timing it with my lights, my Co2 levels were reduced by 50%.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias
My measured rates of course depend on the accuracy of my ph and alkalinity testing kits and my eye's ability to discern the minute differences between shades of yellow-green and blue-green, as well as my personal judgement of when blue becomes yellow enough to be considered "lime". We are still so archaic.

You know how it is. I'd look for readings from someone else using an inline reactor 1000 to see if I'm BSing before I started making moves to a different diffusion method. I'd actually like to see some readings from other users of this reactor myself. But, yeah, after going through several different sources and methods of diffusion, I'm very impressed with the quality of my pressurized source and my reactor 1000 method of diffusion.

We're all probably only accurate within, what, +/- 10-25ppm? We have judgement calls on ph readings and my alkalinity kit only gives results rounded to the nearest 10 ppm. You and I could actually be dead even.

When I stopped running Co2 24/7 and switched to timing it with my lights, my Co2 levels were reduced by 50%.
Good point about the testing accuracy - there's too much room for human and kit error, I suppose if one's plants and fish are healthy then the rest is almost academic.

Very interesting about your reduced CO2 levels with a solenoid. If the CO2 bubble rate has to be increased to compensate then are you actually saving any CO2 at all using a solenoid? What did you find regarding pH stability with and without the solenoid?

I was considering buying a solenoid but they sound like a waste of money - I may just wait and buy one with a pH controller when I have the spare cash. They're very expensive in the UK.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Before thinking that your CO2 setup is "inefficient", think about the validity of using bubble rate as a measurement. There is a huge difference between a small and a large bubble. Sounds obvious, hehe...

Bubble size depends on many factors, like size and shape of your tubing, kind of bubble counter and bubble counter liquid, overall pressure in your CO2 tubing, etc.

In other words, if you get 30 ppm with 2 bubbles per second, and your buddy aquarist gets 30 ppm with 1 bubble per second, it might just mean that his/her bubble is bigger

Of course bubbling into an HOB filter will give you less efficiency as an inline reactor!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Before thinking that your CO2 setup is "inefficient", think about the validity of using bubble rate as a measurement. There is a huge difference between a small and a large bubble. Sounds obvious, hehe...

Bubble size depends on many factors, like size and shape of your tubing, kind of bubble counter and bubble counter liquid, overall pressure in your CO2 tubing, etc.

In other words, if you get 30 ppm with 2 bubbles per second, and your buddy aquarist gets 30 ppm with 1 bubble per second, it might just mean that his/her bubble is bigger

Of course bubbling into an HOB filter will give you less efficiency as an inline reactor!
Good point. I feel a bit silly now

Wasserpest - What are your thoughts on 24/7 versus solenoid-lights CO2 dosing?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My ph appeared to be stable running the Co2 24/7 with a kh of 4. I never had fish gasping at the surface. I had pretty much 0 surface aggitation.

To be honest, I just started cutting Co2 off with my lights a few days ago and only because it was recommended to me so I thought I would test it and see. If your fish are ok with running 24/7, I really don't see the need for reducing diffusion at night from a tank health standpoint. Running Co2 24/7 may be viewed as wasteful, but reducing the injection may save you, what, $4-$8 a year but like you said that depends on how much or little you have to increase your particular bubble rate to achieve desired Co2 levels.

Whether you leave it on at night or cut it off you are still going to have a likelyhood of a ph change and Co2 ppm change. The swings would just go in the opposite directions. The more plants you have, the more likely leaving Co2 on at night may cause you problems because you will have more plant sources producing Co2 at night in addition to your injection and in addition to all Co2 sources building up because they aren't being consumed, so it's like a tri-factor...BABY!

I may go back to 24/7 injection. The main reason I like a solenoid - if you want to stop your Co2 for some reason, all you have to do is unplug it instead of fiddling with knobs. This is like a safety system if you are away and the power goes off. Your filtration stops and your lighting stops so your photosynthesis stops, but without a solenoid your Co2 would keep pumping, which could definitely kill all your animals under those conditions of zero consumption. Of course, this benefit might not seem worth it for the $20-$30 price tag. Basically, it's only a requirement for an automated system so the computer can cut it on and off as needed, but in some cases, like mine, it just came with the regulator so you either plug it and go on like usual or try to make justifications for using this thing you paid for. I'm not sure I see real benefits from using a solenoid and a timer. However, I can see many possible scenarios for it causing problems.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Wasserpest - What are your thoughts on 24/7 versus solenoid-lights CO2 dosing?
My thoughts are... plants don't need CO2 at night (fish even less ). So if you have a solenoid or are willing to buy one, it's a useful thing.

Keep in mind that with the CO2 you save, the cost of the solenoid might be made up for soon. A refill costs me $21, and using the solenoid saves me about 60% vs 24/7. Plus, this way I have never seen "gasping" fish.

Basically I disagree with RA.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Basically I disagree with RA.
Well, I'm lazier than most.

My 10lb refills are like $8.50. Yours are almost 3x as much. That makes a difference. That's gaseous gold my friend. What size cylinder are you using?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Are these real?

Same as you, 10lb. Lil more expensive around here, everything

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Same as you, 10lb. Lil more expensive around here, everything
I hear your sentiments Wasser!! Of course I stumbled onto a very nice person at the local welding shop to suggested I can get refills for $15 at a bar and beer shop rather than swapping out a cylinder with his company for $22. I call that great customer service even though he technically lost one!

I just moved here and the cost of living is obnoxious. 2 br condos for a minimum $400,000!!! One bedrooms at $370,000. 3 br houses with 2 baths (1200 sq ft) for 850K to 1.2 million!! Augh!!!! I'm really considering a job with the Feds now....

Re-boot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode