Losing my mind - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Losing my mind

I am going to lose my mind. Maybe someone could help me out. I guess I am not smarter than the plants in my tank. I have my pressurized co2 up and running. Fixed the leak and it seems to be doing well. I have been dosing traces every other day. I made a solution of 6 tsp of CSM + B in 500 ml of distilled water. I have been putting in 10 ml of this solution every other day. The other days I have been adding 30 ml of two solutions. One is 6 tsp of KNO3 in 500 ml of water and the other is 3 tsp of KH2PO4 in 500 ml of water.

I have been doing this for one week now. I know that I should give it more time, but the algae is getting much worse already. The plants are growing so that is a good thing. I even saw a few pearling today I believe. But the algae thing is what concerns me.

The co2 controller reads 6.9 ph my test reads 7.0. My KH is steady at 6. This gives me what seems like about 18 to 22 ppm of co2. Should I up the co2? Turn the controller to 6.8 or 6.7? I will start dosing dry measures of the ferts as soon as I use up the solutions I have made up. Or do you think that I should just chuck them and start dosing dry measures now?

My tank is a 75 gallon with about 68 actual gallons of water. Eco complete for a substrate. Pressurized co2 with a controller set at 6.9 ph. I have many plants in there right now. I won't claim to know all of them but there are some fast growers in there. The lights are a 2 x 110 watt from AHSupply and I just added a 2 x 32 watt t8 shoplight on Monday. This puts me at about 2.3 wpg. Would the increased light have a sudden effect on the algae? Water parameters are as follows:

GH : 11
KH : 6
PH : 7.0
PO4 : 5
NO2 : 0
NO3 : 40
NH3 : 0

Any guidance would surely be appreciated. I am trying to get all this ironed out. I am just really struggling for some reason. Thank you.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 02:51 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I am new to plants also (about 6 weeks). But it looks like you are putting in way too much phosphate. If I figured it right 30ml of your phosphate soulution would give you 2.4 pmm. That is all you need for the week. I think you should give 15ml of your phosphate soultion 2x a week. If I am wrong hopfully more experience hobbiest will correct me.

My water is about the same as yours and I started setting my PH at 6.7. The fish seem to be doing fine. However, I still have some algae issues. It is not out of controll and It seems to be getting better each week. I keep dosing, pruning and doing the 50 percent water changes. The plants are growing good and the algae seems to be slowing down. I think it takes a bit of time for things to stablize. At least I hope they will
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try that. This is just about as frustrating as anything else I've done.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 08:12 AM

You mean 2x 55w of light I presume... 2.3wpg is fine for growing almost any plant.

Your issue is CO2. It's too low. Raise it so that it is at least 30mg/l.

And give it 2 to 3 weeks after any change to fully see the impact of that change...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. It is just hard to watch the algae grow as fast as the plants.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by molurus73
Thank you. It is just hard to watch the algae grow as fast as the plants.
Upping the CO2 will help a lot I think, I agree PO4 is high you want ~1ppm and 10ppm NO3. I dose 1/2 the CSM+B in my 65gal that you are, but a lot of ppl out there would probably say that your amount is fine. With the amount of ferts you are throwing in your tank and the lower CO2 levels the plants can't take up enough of the nutrients that you are adding so the algae uses them instead. You could add some fast growing plants for now to help out compete the algae, some surface plants that you can just take out quick and easy. I remember a long time back i stuck a bunch of duck weed into one of my tanks when I was first learning to fert with the bulk ferts i got from gregg watson.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode