questions about ferts and mushy leaves.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Question questions about ferts and mushy leaves....

Hi im newish here i read alot but never post so i figured i better post...

i have a 10gallon tank that i set up before i finish getting the stand and hood made for the 55 gallon so i figured my old 10gallon could be set back up and used to toy around with my question is what should i do fert wize?

tank age: almost one month
tank size: 10 us gallons
filter: hang on power filter... thats all i know its really old...
heater: hagen radiant heater 25 watt.. possibly 50watt not sure ill have to check later...
no co2 injection atm but plants are growing well...
lighting: 18" 15 wat life glo 2 6700k high noon full spectrum
substraight: 100% flourite natural color (the brown type)
plants: anubias coffeefolia green wedtii and red wendtii cabomba (i think) and a grass im not sure what it is.... it isnt a dwarf hair its a bigish grass i will find name hopefully..
inhabitatants at moment: 3 amaino shrimp 2 oto's a bunch of snails popping up and some things kinda looking like sliper shells that i see at the beach... those two i didnt buy must of hitchhiked but they arent eating plants yet because i have lots of diffrent types of algea! you name it ive grown it!

in the future i plan on getting a pair of rams for the tank and a small school of something (or maybe some guppies?) not sure.......

my question is that my wendtii has had leaves going all transparrent and mushy then after they fall to the ground the shrimp eat them.. my grass is also being afected somewhat... but not my stems or anubias!

my q is what is happening? do i need ferts or co2? i also want to know what i should do co2 and fert wize because i do need to get some i think and i want to do the right thing and get the right ones....

Thanks for the help and your time!
Fish Newb

Last edited by A Hill; 08-20-2005 at 12:40 AM. Reason: make the title more appropriate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

has anyone ever seen this happen? or is it just old growth die off making room for new growth? i really want to know what is wrong....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 12:07 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can't say for sure but when I planted new plants in my newly setup tank about 4 months ago, the same thing happened. Most of the plants leaves turned transparent and (melted). Really freaked me out. Try to be patient. I think in a lot of cases, newly planted plants can melt but then they come back strong.

At least that is what happened to me this summer.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

it sounds like the same thing,.......... my dad thought it was old growth dieing back,,, because there is tons of new growth off the plants... so maybe it is just ajusting,,....

has anyone else had this problem?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 03:34 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
It could be that you have plants that were grown emerse. The dieback is normal. You will have strong plants after they grow in. Leave them alone.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok i got worried for a while but after thinking about it i calmed down... i think im at about 3 weeks to a month with the plants... hopefully they will grow in nice... ill have to post pics im just to lazy.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode