So My Plants Flew In Today... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
So My Plants Flew In Today...

And boy are my arms tired.

No seriously. I never thought it would be this difficult. I rushed home early from work to an overnight package I knew would be waiting. I tear it open and get to planting.

The 9 stems of Hygro were easy enough. The 20 stems of stargrass was also easy enough. The 30 stems of Rotala Indica... apparently my substrate, who I will call Murphy, has imposed a regulation fixing the maximum quota for Rotola at 20 stems. For each additional stem of Rotola above quota inserted into the substrate, Murphy would expel one planted stem of Rotola chosen at his sole discretion. I was told 100% eco-complete would be easily planted, but Murphy made his law, and that was that. My 5 bunches of babytears broke apart during shipment, resulting in 100 or so fragments. Murphy set his babytears quota at 50.

It was now 4 hours later. Dinner was eaten standing up, right after my mad rush to CVS after I realized that needle tweezers might be a good idea. Murphy made a ruling that the maximum size of needle tweezers allowed is 2 inches. CVS obeyed. The tweezers and the packaging and the leather case fit in the palm of my hand.

Over the next two hours, I'm able to use the tweezers to coax Murphy to accept all remaining strands of stargrass and babytears. Maybe it wasn't the tweezers. At this point, I'm not planting as much as I am burying.

It's past midnight, and I breathe a sigh of relief. Then I remember the glosso. The 7 bunches are shedding leaves like crazy. Fortunately, most of the leaves have bits of stem attached, so I wrap my hands, no, my fingers, no, my fingernail tips, no, my aching and sore fingernail tips around my tweezers and plug away.

2:30 AM. Murphy and the 6 remaining bunches of glosso are mocking me. I surrender and flee.

Last edited by Snailpoo; 08-19-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
LOL...Great post! Good luck, and I can't wait to see photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
lol *claps*

I feel your pain. I just did one bunch of glosso this past weekend I thought it would never end...

My tanks:
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'll see if I can pull a 'relations' by for you, so you don't have to worry about your friend Murphy for a while.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Welcome to the world of the wet green thumb!!!

I think we've all experienced what you have! I bet it feels good to have it all done!!

Re-boot!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the support guys.

Something I noticed as a rushed out late for work this morning:... are my plants supposed to look like a sorry bunch of melting weeds?

Oh, and I'm far from done. 6 bunches of glosso are still sitting in an empty third of the tank taunting me. You know, I can even pinpoint the exact moment I went wrong: "Well, it's best to start off with as many plants as possible to combat algae; overnight shipping is expensive; and individual plant prices are quite cheap ... so let's get the most for the money." Yeah, that was brilliant. Oh, and the evil folks at the store sent me extra.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
LOL Snailpoo! What a great post!

I'm not normally vicious, but I found myself laughing at your pain (having been there recently). I trust that was your intent, 'cuz you had me going!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Scolley, but this is nothing compared to what you went through

As for laughing at my pain, I guess I forgot the part where my wife lounged on the couch for most of the night.

"I thought you said you were keeping an aquarium to help you relax, dear."

"Are you having fun yet?"

"Why is everything floating?"

"Really? Are you sure that's fun? That doesn't look fun."

"Remember to get milk when you go get your tweezers."

"Hey, look how your fingers are pruning!"

"Why is everything floating again?"

"Aren't you getting tired from standing there so long?" (At which point, she promptly took a nap.)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
ROFL! Great post snailpoo, I've been there and feel for you.
Quote:
"I thought you said you were keeping an aquarium to help you relax, dear."
I've heard that one many times!

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailpoo
"Why is everything floating again?"
LMAO!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 08:06 PM
KLB

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailpoo
I was told 100% eco-complete would be easily planted, but Murphy made his law, and that was that. My 5 bunches of babytears broke apart during shipment, resulting in 100 or so fragments. Murphy set his babytears quota at 50.

It was now 4 hours later. Dinner was eaten standing up, right after my mad rush to CVS after I realized that needle tweezers might be a good idea. Murphy made a ruling that the maximum size of needle tweezers allowed is 2 inches. CVS obeyed. The tweezers and the packaging and the leather case fit in the palm of my hand.

Over the next two hours, I'm able to use the tweezers to coax Murphy to accept all remaining strands of stargrass and babytears. Maybe it wasn't the tweezers. At this point, I'm not planting as much as I am burying.

It's past midnight, and I breathe a sigh of relief. Then I remember the glosso. The 7 bunches are shedding leaves like crazy. Fortunately, most of the leaves have bits of stem attached, so I wrap my hands, no, my fingers, no, my fingernail tips, no, my aching and sore fingernail tips around my tweezers and plug away.

2:30 AM. Murphy and the 6 remaining bunches of glosso are mocking me. I surrender and flee.
Being totaly new to this side of the aquarium keeping planting the items in substrate sounded easy enough. That was untill I actually tried getting the plants to stay where I wanted them. I figured the small grain size of the Eco would make short work of planting a dozen or so Rotala Wallichi and about forty assorted stem plants. I went through on a smaller scale exactly what you went through, everytime I got a certain number of plants how I wanted them trying to place one more would cause the substrate to stir up slightly. So after about ten fairly tightly placed plants the items previously planted nearbye seemed to have the Eco relax and let the plants float free. I got a tad frustrated and bought some of the ADA topsoil and that stuff makes this heavy handed person look... well at least not like an utter newb. The ADA stuff is heavier and seems to roll back into the slight hole made with my tweezers to help hold the plant in place. So now I have about three inches of Eco and two inches of ADA=best of both worlds?? Or a headache in the making, news at eleven.

Ken
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 01:29 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Actually if you mix in some Tahitian Moon Sand, the Eco-C does a much better job of holding stem plants down.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode