Newbie questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie questions

Hey all,

I am going to be setting up a 35 gallon hex tank pretty soon and I'm looking for some advice. I'm more concerned with the fish than the flora at this point, but would like some live plants to help keep the algae down, provide more oxygen for my fish and provide more aesthetics than fake plants. Since I am new to the live plants thing, I am planning on keeping the lighting a bit lower (~2WPG) so that I don't have to use any CO2. Will I still need to fertilize though? I have read that there are a lot of plants that get their nutrients through the water instead of through the substrate, so I was planning on going with those types and just putting down standard gravel (~1cm). Is this a bad idea? Will I still need to create a substrate with fertilized layers in the bottom? Also, can someone recommend some plants that will do ok in this environment (low light)? I don't need anything that is too fast growing; just something that will keep the algae away.

Thanks for any help guys

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:26 PM

i was able to manage to keep amazon swords , anubias , javamoss and java ferns under 2 wpg. hope this helps
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
If all you are looking for is plants that help suck up nitrates and excess nutrients then you probably want maybe a floating plant. I am not sure what plant will root well with only 1cm of substrate anyways.

Maybe anacharis or hornwort.

That or you can use java moss to attach to the gravel and have it spread across to give you a thick carpet without having much substrate. You might be able to use java ferns as well since they feed with their roots exposed to the water.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply chaos. Did you fertilize your plants? What was your substrate comprised of? How stocked was your tank?

Jimmy- Sorry for the confusion. I was planning on putting down about an inch of rocks roughly 1cm in diameter. I have read that it is recommended to go with a finer grade, but I don't think I would like the look of that as much...

Thanks guys,
-Mike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Plants will not thrive as much if no co2 or ferts are given. With 2wpg, your plant selection is not that limited, you can keep water wisteria, water sprite, rotala indica, bacopa monneri, java ferns, anubias plants, java moss, ludwigia repens, hygrophilia polysperma, and the list can keep on going.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah, i have about the same sized gravel in my first tank. The look is absolutely hideous. If you want something cheap then just go grab some sand from a home depot or a similar store. The sugestion i gave on the plants still works though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode