Clams - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Clams

I know this is not plants but has anyone had Freshwater clams in thier tanks. Will they move the plants when they dig in the sand???

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a bunch of them in my planted hex. I've never had a problem.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I put them into the tanks, and they buried themselves into the substate. I never saw them again, I assume they are alive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

They sure are... they almost always surface if there is a problem or if they die. The shells will also open.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

yep, the few that died initially, they opened up. I wonder if they breed down there

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

From what I understand... they very well may. Most all mussel species need a symbiote in order to reproduce (for example for some species it has to be a bitterling). But for corbicula, which is almost always what a "freshwater clam" is sold as, they are livebearers, just like marine clams are, which is why they are referred to as "freshwater clams" instead of "mussels."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Mine kept their little tips poking out of the substrate, just enough to stick their little tube thing out to suck in water. That is of course was before my purchase of a UV which took everything they needed out of the water, and they slowly starved to death. Which BTW takes a while for a clam.

My sister-in-law has a PHD in "clamology", or some such aquatic bivalve esoterica, and she confirmed the fact that they starve slooowly.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

so sounds like that they have to filter stuff from the water column, mulm in substrate won't cut it . I don't have any UV running anymore, but I might even have too much mechanical filtration, since my water is maintained crystal clear. Maybe that is not good for them. Seems like a dilemma.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

IMO they are not good additions to hi-tech tanks, unless you just like slowly killing inverts. But at the same time, they are wonderful additions to low-tech tanks (low filtration, no UV) especially if you have a bit of Green Water (diatomic algae). Then they are in hog heaven.

In fact, with enough of them, they can be a nice UV replacement. But you have to make sure there's some organisms in the water for them to eat. And yes shalu, they do not suck mud. If they are not coming out of it, ever, it's probably because they are toast.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Steve, you make me want to go dig them up and find out what is going on. Maybe I will do just that. I have some in both hi/low tech tanks.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

They are still alive

Tonight I decided to do a deep vacuum on one of my 10 gallons. The clams got sucked up. They are still where I initially dropped them last month, alive and well.

15w T6+15w T8

---------------------
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well Sha, that's what you get for listening to an amateur - me!

I am glad they are OK though. BTW - how do you know they are alive? Did they burrow again after you vac'd them up?

As for the UV though, don't take my word for it. Look it up. Nothing in the water column (algal life that is), nothing for the clams to eat.

So I'm glad they are OK now, but you still have to leave them something to eat, I do believe.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 01:35 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
The clams that I had (Corbicula) never dug themselves completely into the substrate.

When I pulled them out, they would carefully check out what happened:

Then they always positioned themselves stuck about 2/3 into the sand, slightly open:

They only closed up if some fish or shrimp started to give them more attention than they liked. Maybe in a tank with more fish or coarser substrate they behave differently.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode