uv sterilizers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (30/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to joestreich
uv sterilizers

I have a 75 gal aquarium and am having a problem with green water. I have read alot of the post about this and think I am just going to bite the bullet and buy a uv sterilizer. I want to here from those of you who use one or have used one in the past. What brand would you guys (and gals) recommend? Is there an advantage to higher watt units? Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
I use the 9W Coralife TurboTwist 3x on my 85gal. Easy to set up, very clear water.

- Erik
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:46 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had gw for the past 6 weeks. Finally bit the bullet as well and bought a coralife 9w turbo twist for my 50g. Within 5 days the water was crystal. Easy to hook up just like Troy said. I am very glad I bought it. Hell, what's another $70 after all the money spent to get this far?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
From what I have read on other threads is it depends both on how many watts the bulb is, and how quickly the water passes over it. A lower watt bulb, which has a quite slow flow might be more effective than a higher watt bulb with a very high flow.

I bought a used 15 watt "Aqua" off Ebay. It didn't come with a bulb (the most expensive part), which I bought online, but It seems to do a great job. I don't run it 24X7 because I don't need to yet, I want to make the bulb last, and I have heard this might affect your micros. I had it set up on a timer to run at night, but recently I just run it for 24-36 hours in the middle of the week and then dose CSM+B when I turn it off. I have notices the water is remarkably clear towards the end of the 24 hrs.

Does anyone with more experience than me (any experience ) know the effects of a UVS on chelated Iron?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Ran a 9w turbo twist with a dedicated 230 gph pump on my 55 gal and within 3 days my pea soup was gone. Don't let anyone tell you you need an expensive high wattage UV sterilizer or even that you need a weak pump or low gph to get rid of gw. I committed the cardinal sin and ran low wattage and high flow. This combo took out very thick gw in like 3 days. Multiple weak exposures work well for gw.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (30/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to joestreich
thanks for the imput....I think I am going to get a 3x turbo twist 9 watt. Hopefully this will work. You are right, what is another 70 bucks after all the other money I have thrown at this adventure!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode