Good plants for a 10 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good plants for a 10 gallon?

I just recently set up a 10g tank for dwarf puffers. Now, I'm looking for plants to try out in the tank. Right now it's mostly the fake plastic sort, but I don't really think that looks that great and I would like eventually to get rid of most of them.

I've never been attracted to the 'leafy' type plants like crypts or Java fern. I don't really like how they look, I wanted to try something a little ... different.

I am thinking of starting with Java moss (I don't like how stringy it looks, but since it attaches readily to rocks and grows quickly, I figured it's still a good addition), hornwort, and marimo algae balls. Basically anything mossy or 'fluffy'.

My lighting is two All-Glass mini compact fluorescent 10w bulbs rated at 6500k.

Riccia fluitans is appealing to me, same with Limnophilia sessiliflora. I was considering Cabomba but I don't think I have the lighting to support it.

Does anyone else have any good ideas as what to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:35 AM
Algae Grower

Try Taiwan moss, it looks nicer than java.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:48 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If its your first shot at plants I would start slow and get lower light plants to start. Small tanks are tricky if you try to bite off a big chunk too soon and then all it does is frustrate ya.
My suggestion would be to load it up with a small variety of easy plants at first and then as the tank matures just remove what you dont like and try something new.There are lots of photos of amazing little tanks here that are not all that difficult to grow.

It all starts with matching plants to the lights you have...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
If its your first shot at plants I would start slow and get lower light plants to start. Small tanks are tricky if you try to bite off a big chunk too soon and then all it does is frustrate ya.
I only intend on starting with perhaps 3-4 different plant species.

Quote:
My suggestion would be to load it up with a small variety of easy plants at first and then as the tank matures just remove what you dont like and try something new.There are lots of photos of amazing little tanks here that are not all that difficult to grow.
The only problem is that I don't know what is appropriate with my current lighting. I know lighting is tricky on 10 gallon systems, and much of the information about the various different plants is conflicting. For example, some have said that Limnophilia sessiliflora requires high light to grow, others say it doesn't if you just don't mind it getting bushy.

Plus I've pretty much drained my finances for the time being setting up the whole tank and I don't want to buy plants I just don't like the look of, only to toss them later. I just want to have a starting point, so to speak, so I have something to choose from and can make a decision from there.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
For my lowish-light 10gal (click in sig for pic ) I am using two leaved Pearlweed, various mosses (Christmas, weeping, Java), Windelov Java Fern, Lagarosiphon madagascariensis, Rotala indica, Sagittaria...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

If you could get nice "branch-y" looking driftwoods, you could have a Java/Taiwan(I prefer Taiwan too) moss only tank and still have it look really amazing.
Here's an example -

Pic taken off the ADA gallery...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thats a fine example of a very easy tank to grow. Take a look at Wasserpests 10 gallon... its a beauty and low maintanance, just ask him

Dont get caught up in the names of plants is all Im saying...I personally would rather see a healthy tank with common easier plants, then a tankfull of unhealthy "different" plants.

If the plants are different then the norm , then they normally have special needs in water quality or lighting or both...

Here is an easy 10 gallon I grew...mainly ferns and moss. Very easy to maintain and pleasing to watch. I would just rather see you have fun with your first tank then run into problems.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode