What the heck is this white stuff?????? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
What the heck is this white stuff??????

There is a white sludge building up under my bubble ladder, right where the c02 bubbles come out. I'm using a sugar and yeast setup to diliver c02. I'm affraid that this white stuff is toxic. I thought it might be the sugar and yeast sollution comming out, but I havent touched the pop bottels for 2 days and the sludg keeps building up. No matter how much I try to clean it, it just keep building up? What should I do?

click here

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I get this too on my glass diffuser but I think its some type of bacteria.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
It's a build up from the CO2 bubbles I believe. A little bit of your yeast, sugar, baking soda and H2O (ingredients from your DIY CO2) is scrubbed off of the surface of each bubble and deposited where it comes out. I just clean it off every once and a while with a small brush or even a pipe cleaner. If too much builds up, the bubbles may not 'roll up' the ladder correctly and just float to the surface. I don't think that you would see this same deposit if you were using a tank of CO2 like you see with DIY CO2.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ya, thats exactly whats happining. There is such a build up of the white stuff that the c02 bubbles wont flow up the ladder. I have to clean it off every day to make sure the c02 bubbles go where they are supposed to. I guess this white stuff isnt toxic, so I won't worrie about it as much. Thanks for the responce..

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Gosh, I don't have to clean my ladders but every once and a while. That's usually about every other refill. Do you have just one ladder on your 75g?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ya, I'm just using one ladder. It's hooked up with two, 2 liter jugs, and a gang valve.

I'm not sure why its building up so fast in my ladder? Mabey its the ingrediance I use in the mix?. I've never heard of anyone else having this problem. It's so bad that I might have to dissisemble it because I'm affraid that it will afect my watter.

For the yeast suggar solution I mix...

- 1 tsp yeast
- 1.5 cups of sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:13 PM

add a gas separator between the CO2 generator and the bubble ladder. I use a 20oz soda bottle, 2/3's full of water. run the CO2 into the bottle, and use rigid airline that extends down into the water. Then have a little piece of tubing that vents the CO2 out of the top, and run airline to the bubble ladder.
That should totally eliminate the fluffy, snot-like white stuff, which is indeed some kind of fungal residue from the yeast.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the idea malkor.. I'll give it a try

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode