Identify my type of CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Identify my type of CO2

I'm currently running a 29g with some Java Fern and Carolina Fanwort and some unknown grass starter given by my LFS. I'm supplying Co2 via a cannister ( like insecticide) and I just pump more into the water (via a 'upturned' bottle) whenever it runs low. Is this a good method to supply Co2? What is this method called? I'm a beginner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:08 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Well from one noob to another. . . . so would you say the co2 system ("canister") is high-pressure? It sounds like you must be doing alot of testing if you are manually adjusting the co2 flow. If you could find the "uptake rate" of your plants, then set the co2 at that rate it would be easier than manually adjusting.

The upside-down bottle is not very effective, it's typically more efficient to use a design that incorporates a powerhead/pump.

If you could explain your setup a little better, on the out-of-aquarium side, that would be helpful.

BTW, how are your plants growing? Any algae troubles?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for ur reply. I've got a pic of the co2 set up as shown>

Anyone using this setup? Any comments? The plants seems to be growing fine. There are also traces of algae, though not much

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well I guess I havent seen everything ! LOL
Thats a new setup to me but I can see the premise behind it. It will work but I aint too crazy about the can of CO2. Once that runs out you could just use a yeast mix and give it a constant feed of CO2 for much less money Im sure.

Be sure to have the bell in an area with good water flow passing it to get good results.

Did you check the ph before and after installation to see if its saturating the water at all?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Yup, i'm pretty excited after reading the DIY Co2 setups here as the can's not cheap and has limited volume. I'm a beginner to having an aquarium, this being my 1st. Alot to learn and explore, one of'em being water testing. Lol. have not done any tests yet.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 02:04 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I ran a similar setup (DIY design) in a 30 gallon once very successfully. You will be hooked on this hobby in no time. Patience , some testing and a bit of luck and you will soon have a beautiful tank. Read , read , read and Dont forget to take pictures ! They change quickly and in a sneeky way !
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

lol, thanks!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:04 AM

That looks similar to a system I think Tetra used to have called Tetra Bell CO2 or something like that.

I used it once a long (long...!) time ago and it did help a bit but it's not really worth the expense of replacing those spray cans.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 04:01 PM

That has got to be the wierdest thing I've seen yet! Might work long term in a smaller (10 gallon) tank but I think if you go any larger than 20 gals you might need to look into a larger pressurized setup. YMMV though.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode