Fizz Tabs ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
I plan on setting up a 15 gallon planted tank in my wifes office for her. I want to keep it low maintenance so a CO2 setup is out of the question.
I have never used these fizz tabs and I was wondering if anyone has tried them . They say it adds trace elements and a CO2 blast... I know for a large tank it would be too costly but being such a small tank (15G) and directions saying 1 Tablet per 10 Gallons per Week that aint that expensive. $ 2.49 for 8 tablets at my LFS.
Anyone tried them or have any thoughts on them ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 10:39 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
If your talking about the CO2 fizz factory. It's probably an inexpensive, no fuss way to go on a small tank. I don't see how the fizz tabs could add trace elements though. My understanding is that its an alka seltzer like reaction that produces co2 bubbles that are collected into a reactor and allowed to dissolve in the reactor over the period of a week. You should still probably apply the rules of regular CO2 such as minimizing surface aggitation and eliminating aeration to conserve CO2.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Well I see they actually have 2 kinds made by Jungle.
They have just the CO2 Fizz tabs for that fizz factory but then they have what is called Plant Care Fizz Tabs that they say adds " electrolytes " to the water that are benificial to plants.
Arent electrolytes normally refferred to in metallurgy ? Maybe it adds iron or something to the water ?
They dont give any ingredients to speak of so I was just wondering if anyone has had success with these... or if I should just use the CO2 Fizz Tabs instead.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 09:15 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just picked up some of these Fizz Tabs for my 46G and gonna give it a shot till I get a CO2 system going in the next month or so. Just wondering if you had any luck with these.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

I have not set that tank up yet so I do not know yet... :hehe::hehe:
That project got sidetracked but I now have that tank since I bought her the setup for X-Mas

Probably next week I will start it... please let me know how you like those tabs ...

Thanks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 10:35 PM

Just plopped them in and they fizzed more that Alka Seltzer... I'm gonna keep up with it for at least a month. I'll be sure to keep ya up to date.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:11 AM

Please do I am interested as well.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 03:18 AM

Hmm ... seems like the CO2 would be more difficult to regulate on these than on a DIY CO2 system. Not to mention the initial onrush of CO2 followed by (what I would think would be) a rapid decline. Now maybe if there were a method of capturing the results of the fizz into a reactor ... ?

Maybe they work ok, I dunno. Those have just been my thoughts on them.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 04:37 AM
Algae Grower

For what it's worth--I just bought a couple packs of those "liquid CO2" ampules that just came out for using in a smaller (10 gallon) tank. I use pressurized CO2 on a couple larger systems, so I was very skeptical, but within hours of adding an ampule to my tank, some of my plants started gently pearling, so it's definitely doing something...

Russ
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I doubt that like you say DLeDeaux that they are a very stable way to introduce CO2 to the tank... and I dont think that a couple tablets a week would throw off water parameters drastically...
Im thinkin more that they would act sort of like us being in a hot stuffy room and stepping outside for a breathe of fresh air and feeling revitalized enough to party some more.
:hehe::hehe:
I would imagine the liquid CO2 like Russ is trying would have more lasting results as they do not dissipate so rapidly.
All I know is CO2 is good and a DIY/pressurized setup is definately out of the question at my wifes office for obvious reasons... so I am going to try other avenues aimed at small tanks and these tablets or liquids seem like something she will do... maybe...?

:sad:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 01:20 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to cousin it
I tried one of the fizz tab systems on a small tank a few years ago.
I found that the system was fairly useless, Ive still got it sat in a drawer with a few packs of the tabs but I doubt I will ever use it again.
the hagen system cost a little bit more but has a much better effect on the plants.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think the one thing most people think is that they just add it to their existing tank and everything is fine, but you still need to apply basic CO2 conservation rules.

If you could get the bubbles in a reactor, then that would probably help, since if you just put it in most of the bubbles would just dissipate right away.

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:40 PM

come on buck . . . you could rig up a little co2 system to fit in there. use one of those BB gun cartrages . . . make a regultor that just slowly leaks into a reactor . . . have her change the cartrage ever couple of days . .

i just made my first DIM (did-it-myself) co2 reactor. i used bucks design pretty much, but instead of the mini vac (my lfs was out) i just used an undergravel lift tube. a plastic bottle cap i drilled a couple of holes in fit right on there. a little silicone glue and presto.

what if you put a yeast-co2 maker on the back of the tank, in a narrow plastic jug? i think we sould start a new thread called "buck's wife's office's tank"
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

She has told me very simply...

NO CO2 IN MY OFFICE ! :sad:

Its going to be a very low maintenance , " low lights-low action planted tank "
...the only good thing is I finally get to try low light plants that grow an inch every 20 years ... Cant Wait

Seriously though I am curious to how it will do... ya never know...it may surprise me .
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 05:33 AM

a friend of mine had a 20 gallon tank lit with 18 watts of flourscent, 5 pirannah, and no idea what he was doing. he bought about 20 of those anubius bulbs (i think that is the bulb they are, they had them in a package on the shelf at a store in indiana) and they grew really really well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode