surface movement? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
surface movement?

Should I have it? A lot? Little? None? I am gettin rdy 2 switch over 2 the Eheim 2234 canister filter w/ a co2 reactor on the outlet hose & its gonna be attached 2 a spray bar. Should I angle the spray bar up 2 have surface movement or down 4 none? If it points up won't the co2 still "gasout"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

Surface agitation is good as it keeps a surface scum layer from forming. I supplement canisters with an aquaclear hob, prefer not to use a spraybar that spreads out/reduces flow.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxl View Post
surface agitation is good as it keeps a surface scum layer from forming. I supplement canisters with an aquaclear hob, prefer not to use a spraybar that spreads out/reduces flow.
+1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Surface Movement

Hello steve...

A healthy tank needs water movement at the surface, so oxygen can be mixed with the water and to allow carbon dioxide to escape. This process is called "gas exchange".

To get to a healthy level of gas exhange, your tank needs a filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of a minimum of 6 times the volume of the tank in gallons. So, if you have a 30 gallon tank, your filter needs a gph rating of 180.

The movement of water through the filtration equipment will sufficiently aerate the tank. Nothing else is needed.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thx Brad. The new filter I have coming is turning my tank 6.6 times an hr...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
That being said, you also don't want tremendous amounts of water agitation otherwise you're likely to lose your CO2 before it dissolves into the water.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah, I was thinking about takin a Marineland powerhead I have layin around & using that 2 move the surface around & have my spray bar pointed down so the co2 enriched water goes n2 the tank & not up @ the surface...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekx500 View Post
Should I have it? A lot? Little? None? I am gettin rdy 2 switch over 2 the Eheim 2234 canister filter w/ a co2 reactor on the outlet hose & its gonna be attached 2 a spray bar. Should I angle the spray bar up 2 have surface movement or down 4 none? If it points up won't the co2 still "gasout"
I'm going to try to restrain myself from writing long explanations. First, if you're eventually going with injected CO2, then I can't help you because I don't know anything about injected CO2. You'll have to refer to other replies. If you're not using injected CO2 and are a Planted Tank, I would try to minimize the surface agitation but not water movement around the tank. This is to preserve as much of the CO2 that is made in the tank all the time as is possible for your setup. In a Planted Tank, CO2 is a precious commodity and when it runs out, photosynthesis goes along at a crawl, at best.

I would, in this case, mount the spray bar enough under the water surface so there is no spray and point it slightly downward. All of this is IMO.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
yeah it is good to prevent film from developing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I'm going to try to restrain myself from writing long explanations. First, if you're eventually going with injected CO2, then I can't help you because I don't know anything about injected CO2. You'll have to refer to other replies. If you're not using injected CO2 and are a Planted Tank, I would try to minimize the surface agitation but not water movement around the tank. This is to preserve as much of the CO2 that is made in the tank all the time as is possible for your setup. In a Planted Tank, CO2 is a precious commodity and when it runs out, photosynthesis goes along at a crawl, at best.

I would, in this case, mount the spray bar enough under the water surface so there is no spray and point it slightly downward. All of this is IMO.
I'm sorry, but I think this is pretty incorrect. First, you need surface agitation in order to bring in oxygen. During the day the plants can contribute some oxygen, but at night when there is no photosynthesis occurring, you are risking an oxygen deprived environment. Second, how do you think the co2 got into the water in the first place? This precious commodity came from atmospheric co2 which was acquired from gas exchange at the surface. The co2 in a non injected tank can only get as great as the atmospheric co2 levels, but without any gas exchange at the surface the levels of co2 in the water can certainly be reduced to nothing.

All this to say that the OP was originally speaking on using pressurized co2 which makes this convo kind of useless, but it can help someone. Even when you are using pressurized co2 it is still a good idea to see a ripple across the tank surface in order to provide adequate oxygen for your fish while you are pumping their environment full of co2. Yes it off gases some co2, but co2 is dirt cheap and it keeps a significantly healthier environment for you tank and its inhabitants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode