Ich - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ich

I have an aquarium and just finished cycling, I put in around 12 cardinals and I noticed today the fish have Ich, I also have 4 ghost shrimps in there and do not have a Q.T. tank set up yet. It's been so long since i've dealt with shrimp that I've forgotten what to do. The LFS suggested removing the shrimp and using copper, I do have live plants (swords,cryps, java moss) any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would just go buy some QuICK Cure you can buy it prettyuch anywhere even Walmart sells it you could either cut the dose in half or as your LFS suggested remove the ghost shrimp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I pulled the ghost shrimp, I think I'm going to use the quick cure, or the copper. for a q.t. tank can I just get by with a sponge filter?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryalln854 View Post
I pulled the ghost shrimp, I think I'm going to use the quick cure, or the copper. for a q.t. tank can I just get by with a sponge filter?
yes I have used a cooler as a quarantine tank before only issue is water wont be cycled you can take water from your tank but you risk bringing the ich into your QT tank

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crob5965 View Post
yes I have used a cooler as a quarantine tank before only issue is water wont be cycled you can take water from your tank but you risk bringing the ich into your QT tank
That's what the treatment is for.

– a 40g reef
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
That's what the treatment is for.
not sure I follow
what is going in the QT Tank and where are the shrimp going to be?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I decided to house the tank in the q.t. tank and treat the main tank. I'm thinking of making the q.t. tank a shrimp tank now, and perhaps buying another 10 gallon for a q.t. Do you guys leave fish in the q.t. tank to keep it cycled, or just set it up when needed?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
I decided to house the tank in the q.t. tank and treat the main tank. I'm thinking of making the q.t. tank a shrimp tank now, and perhaps buying another 10 gallon for a q.t. Do you guys leave fish in the q.t. tank to keep it cycled, or just set it up when needed?
I keep ABN's and a Mystery snail in mine

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Planted Member

Quote:

just a heads up QuICK Cure has a tendency to stain the silicone on your tank blue, not a big deal for me but just figured I'd mention it

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ended up going with a copper product.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Aquarium Salt, and slowly raise the temperature over a few day period to reach 86˚ (i believe) and run it like that for a week straight, then slowly ease the temperature back down, doing 10% water changes every other day or so for another week.

This worked for me, and my red cherry shrimp were fine.

I'd double check your parameters, I thought my tank was cycled when I introduced 15 cardinal tetrass, and then they all came down with ich. I'm thinking there was still ammonia, and the extra stress of being in a new tank combo'ed with the excess ammonia weakened the fish...in which they all came down with ich...and died.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wouldn't be surprised if the tank wasn't completely cycled, it went through all the spikes (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but it seemed to cycle rather quickly. How mych aqaurium salt do you put in, and does the temp bother the plants?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I forget how much salt exactly, maybe one half teaspoon per gallon? don't quote me t hough...if you poke around on google, you should be able to find it.

my plants hung in there, and weren't affected by the higher temps. just do a couple degrees a day and you should be good.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Copper based meds seem to hang around for a long time after you think they are gone, so you cannot keep shrimp in the tank for a long time after using copper.

Salt: Add 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons each day for 3 days. Total dose is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. (Not too far off 1/2 teaspoon per gallon). This is at the high end for salt sensitive fish. It is too much for plants, especially at that high temperature.

If you move the fish to a hospital tank the main tank will not have fish, so Ich will die. No host. I would also move the shrimp and continue to keep the main tank cycled with ammonia, just like the fishless cycle. If there were any doubts that the main tank was cycled, then a week or two without fish, and adding ammonia will definitely finish out the cycle, and grow a lot more beneficial bacteria.

I would keep the shrimp separate from the fish so you can use what you want on the fish. If you want to use copper in the hospital tank, that is OK.

When setting up the hospital tank you can use water from the main tank, but not because it is cycled. There is no such thing as cycled water. You are using that water because that is what the fish are used to. You could use a certain % of new water and that would be like a water change. If you can match the GH, KH and TDS then use all new water, and transfer only the minimum of Ich organisms in the water that clings to the net during the transfer.

Moving that many fish into an uncycled tank can indeed be a problem. You could use the filter from the main tank, or use a sponge filter if it has some established bacteria. The problem is that often medications can stop the bacteria from reproducing, if not kill them outright. Whatever bacteria you can move is all that the hospital tank will have. Plan on doing LOTS of water changes for 2 reasons: Removing the fallen Ich organisms before they breed (Bare bottom hospital tank, and vacuum the floor of the tank daily) and removing ammonia and nitrite.

Here is what I would do:
Move the established filter, fish and water to the hospital tank. Maybe use 50% old water and 50% new water, being sure to match GH, KH and TDS.
Add as many plant clippings as possible. They will die in the hot, salty water, but will be there for a few days, helping with the ammonia.
Run UV on the hospital tank, add salt and do daily vacuuming.
Raise the temperature at the rate of 1 degree F every couple of hours until the temperature in the hospital tank is 86*F.

Meanwhile, the main tank: Move the shrimp to a different container and work on the fishless cycle here. Use the sponge filter or anything else that you can leave in here for a few weeks after you return the fish. A mesh bag of lava rock or bio media would be best.
When you return the fish to this tank:
1) BIG water change. The fishless cycle can raise the nitrate way off the charts.
2) Keep the newly cycled media.
3) Clean the old filter (it was on the hospital tank) really well. Not bleach, you are not trying to kill the bacteria, but wash clean all the debris.
4) Move as much of the newly cycled bio media into the filter as will fit. Hang the rest in the tank in the mesh bag.
5) Remove a little of the bio media from the mesh bag each week until it is all gone, perhaps over a month or so. This will ease the transition while more bacteria get established in the filter. The removed bio media can be kept cycled in the hospital (now quarantine) tank, if you want, by adding ammonia. I do not keep a tank cycled unless I know I will be buying fish soon.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode