What fish food do you use - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What fish food do you use

I need a good community fish food any suggestions. I was thinking of repashy. does anyone have any experience with repashy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Fish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfernelius19 View Post
I need a good community fish food any suggestions. I was thinking of repashy. does anyone have any experience with repashy
Hello h...

I don't think you can go wrong with frozen foods. I try to avoid fish food with more than two or three ingredients. That's why I feed mostly frozen, it's the most nutritious. It has only the frozen animal and water, nothing added that has a name you can't pronounce.

I feed brine and mysis shrimp, frozen bloodworms, krill and plankton. I like to add a pellet with algae and shrimp too. If you feed a little bit a couple of times a week, the cost is minimal and your fish stay healthy and your tank stays cleaner and algae free.

Just a thought.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Planted Member

I feed quite a variety of frozen, live & dry foods. but my favorite go to community food is:

New Life Spectrum sinking pellets 0.5mm for small fish.

I feed this to my fickle African Butterflyfish.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
New Life Spectrum sinking pellets 0.5mm here too. Also, frozen mysis and bloodworms, and this "assortment pack" that Hikari makes that has 4 different kinds of worms/shrimp and spirulina algae in it. I also love freeze dried blackworms. My fish turn into fiends for this stuff! I have fry so I also grind up flake (Ken's) for them too. So I have a bunch of different foods to rotate through.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Frozen food isn't necessarily the most nutritious thing to feed your fish. And some fish won't bother with frozen unless there's a lot of training involved.

Nice community pellet or flake mixes are great. Repashy is also terrific. There's a thread about Repashy products in the Invertebrates by Msjinkzd sponsor forum that you should check out. Tons of questions and answers. I use it on a regular basis and highly recommend it. It's the only thing that has ever gotten some of my fish to breed.

As others have suggested, the best way to feed your community of fish is with a variety of foods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im thinking of getting hikari micro pellets and repashy community food. I will use it along with hikari algae pellets. I also use new life spectrum 1 mm but some of my fish cant swallow so im making a switch
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Micro Pellets are great - even my smallest Endlers and Rasboras enjoy it.

Took a few days to get everyone hooked on Repashy but it's gotta be one of my most favorite foods (and that's coming from someone who makes their own stuff).

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tetramin flake food, sinking algae pellets, Hikari brine shrimp, bloodworms and tubifex worms

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com

has many blends of flakes, pellets and wafers, also sells freeze dried foods like brine shrimp and daphnia.
The basic foods are blends of whole fish and shellfish for the carnivores, or an algae and vegetable based herbivore food.
Then these 2 are mixed in different ratios so there are custom foods for a basic diet.
Then there are custom foods for breeding and raising fry.

Quality foods.
Quick service.
Good prices.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I give a little omega one fish flakes before giving them some frozen food (mainly these 3: brine shrimp, bloodworms, daphnia). My smaller fish (pencilfish) love the flake foods and then my larger fish (apistogramma) prefer the frozen so something for everyone.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nls .5mm pellets and hikari frozen bloodworms
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Algae Grower

I try to give my fish something different every day. The Bettas really like Ocean Nutrition pellets. I use a variety of dry from Kensfish including angel flake, catfish pellets, and earthworm sticks. Frozen food is more of a treat, and use bloodworms, mysis, or Emerald Entree. Everyone gets fresh veggies 3 X week, they go crazy for zucchini, broccoli, spinach, or shredded carrot. I nuke the veggies in microwave to soften slightly, use veggie clips in tanks. I've had trouble with Hikari foods clouding water and no longer use.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
NLS Pellets, whatever flake is on sale, frozen bloodworms. For live food I culture whiteworms & daphnia. I used to have grindal worms, but I neglected them after getting a whiteworm culture. Grindals are the easiest live food culture I've ever tried, but a little small for larger fish.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh yea!!! I have whiteworms too for my fry! LOL So simple to keep too...I use Hungry Jack mashed potatoes for mine. Less smelly than oatmeal and lasts longer too.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Zoo Med Spirulina and Hakkari blood worms. Not a single inhabitant has lost interest in either in the nearly 2 years the tank has been up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode