Is this a good possible set up? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a good possible set up?

So i finally figured out how I want to redo my 10gal tank.

I want to do an iwagumi style tank with a hairgrass carpet and maybe have some shrimp and tettras or a betta...I havent really decided yet but I will worry about that later when its time to stock.

For light I have two 23w CFLs in dome clamp lamps and my filter is an Aquaclear for a 20 gal.

For substrate I will be ordering black CaribSea eco complete
I want to do a dry start method to get my carpet filled in mostly but was wondering if CO2 will be needed to maintain the carpet once I flood the tank? If so are any of these good options?

http://www.amazon.com/Gulfstream-Tro...8&keywords=co2

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Nutrafin...2&keywords=co2

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Pr...4&keywords=co2

Also is this enough lighting to maybe grow some plants with red color?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
From my personal experience with co2, its go big or go home.

I would look on Craigslist or ebay for a decent regulator and cylinder; however, a 10g tank is pretty small and you might be able to get by its DIY co2 made at home.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
The first link looks just like an aerosol can: I don't know how you would be able to control it without spraying out a ton of CO2 at once. But then again, there may be a valve or something.
The second link is just a glorified DIY CO2 kit. The only nice thing is the CO2 ladder, which holds the CO2 bubbles down in the tank so they can diffuse into the water better. I think a DIY hooked up to an airstone/chopstick would give you better diffusion (personal experience with this kit).
The third link is essentially a mini paintball kit. Those are nice because the 20g tanks can be purchased in the air rifle secting of WalMart or Bass Pro for like $12 for a 25pk. What sucks is that the tanks will burn out fairly quickly, meaning you'll have to change them quite often (so the kit will cost you a fair bit in the long run).

Just like Tyler said, if you want to go all-out, get a regulator/tank from Craigslist. You can even find the normal paintball-sized tanks (24oz, etc.)with the regulators for fairly cheap.
If you like messing with your tank a lot, then a DIY CO2 system works just as well, but you can't really control the flow rate of the CO2.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Don’t use the fluval co2 kit. Came with my fluval flora tank. Completely inconsistent co2 output. as previously stated I’ve come to believe that go big or go home is a good motto for co2. I've realized that i need to bite the bullet and put at least 100$+ into co2
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 AM
Algae Grower

I have been told to stay away from all three of those setups by respected shop owners in the last couple of weeks. i have a set up similar to the fluval by ista:

http://www.afishybusiness.com/produc...FUxxQgod03YAJg

works great and you can get it for less than advertised here but for that kind of money you might as well by a proper set up. i agree go big or go home
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh wow thank you then I will definitely go ahead and stay way from those.

Would diy co2 be sufficient enough for this tank though since its only 10 gal? I also want to add shrimp eventually and read somewhere that i will need to be carefull about too much co2 and run an airstone at night for them. I really just want it as a little bit for the plants.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
DIY CO2 will work pretty well in your 10 gallon, but you can't control how much CO2 is released. With that being said, when I did DIY, I never had a problem with gassing my fish/shrimp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode